Ryanair style customer service

• Quality of service

• Layout of shop

3sheds's review of Ikea

“Ryanair style customer service”

Written on: 04/11/2012 by 3sheds (1 review written)

I only recently started shopping at Ikea but wish I had been warned that their style of customer service is similar to Ryanair.

I went with a builder to pick up parts for two wardrobes. The woman at the collections area gave me a print out for collection. When we found there was only one package for one of the sets of doors we queried it but they said it was what had been ordered. Got home to find we didn't have the panels for the doors.

Drove back (an hour trip) the following day. Picked up the package which I thought was the panels for the doors - especially as it clearly said on the box 150x200. I queried this at collections - they seemed to think it was OK. Got home to find out I should have picked up two of these packages.

So I called Ikea to make a complaint and see if they could deliver the missing package to me. I held for around half an hour. Finally spoke to a woman who was quite rude and completely unapologetic. Said there was no alternative to me making the hour journey back to the store again to take it up with customer service there. I said I thought they were customer service? She said it has to be customer service in the store - who cannot be contacted by phone. I asked if I could pay for the missing part and get it delivered. She said there was no way to do this as there is no way of taking payment over the phone and this part can't be ordered on its own from the website. In short they seem to have very "efficient" and inflexible systems to guarantee that when there is a problem the customer isn't helped. Shopping at Ikea should be accompanied by a health warning.

• Tottenham (Edmonton