DFS Sofa? Is that what they call it.

• Quality of service

• Layout of shop

Guest's review of DFS - www.dfs.co.uk

“DFS Sofa? Is that what they call it.”

Written on: 25/03/2013

Bachelor Sofa ordered Jan13 received March 13. Oh it looked good when it was first installed at 4pm on 11 March. Good so far!
All seats after less than 7 days resemble the feel of a toilet seat. I have sat on the sofa personally for approx 10 hours. Lumber support is non existent, and after 10 mins my back resembles that of a turtles. Comfortable? No, painful yes!

Have I told you about the smell? Oh my, let's just say it makes your eyes water! Your throat sore, and you feel generally under the weather! Probably because only the seat fronts are leather, the sides and back are not leather! I think it is known as PU (plastics are definitely used). BEWARE OF THIS WITH ALL SOFAS IN DFS, as this is one of there most expensive sofa's at present. The sales person said it was full leather. Store Gallows corner Romford, Essex.

I hate to say there is more, the Sofa has a £995.00 Electric fully reclining chaise. Well that what i paid for it. Sounds good doesn't it? Surely that is the best seat you could sit on, right?
WRONG! Please wait a minute, I am going to have to go to sit on my 5 year old sofa, that cost a third of the price, because my back is killing me. Yes I was sitting on said chaise! It is not fit for the purpose! Toilet seat, lumber not!
This is what is wrong.
1. It has no support
2. It has so little filling in it, you can feel the springs that give up, even when my 7 stone wife sits on it.
3. It is a sprung loaded sofa, and the springs feel like that have reached the elastic limit. I am only 13 stone myself.
4. If I happen to sit between the seats, I get the manual recliner pull cord trying to enter me. It is the only part of the seat that doesn't move when you sit on it. Very badly designed.
5. This is day 7. I hate to say I will not sit on it again.

Solutions anyone?

1. Well if I get a reputable upholsterer to survey the sofa, and tell me what needs to be be done to fix it, with an honest price, I will take that off of the £2,000.00 I still owe DFS. Or Ikano? Who are on the credit company.

2. DFS admit their sofa is not fit for purpose and take it back, without the bull, that the sofa is bespoke and made just for me? Did I ask for no stuffing, half leather, half PU, or as I call it, toxic stink, that gets worse each day? No I don't think I did, else I wouldn't have ordered it!!!!!!

I will keep you all posted...........

From Mr why oh why can't large companies treat you, as a person, and not a number on a balance sheet.

Note: I am going to take time off work to contact DFS tomorrow, wish me luck.
my day rate as I am self employed, is £300.00 take note DFS.
Tuesday 19th March
Waiting in store to speak to manager........
Manager has now become sales staff, making a sale. Sales men look bored, and are offering me tea and coffee. Nearly 40 mins waiting. Time is money!
Finally, 45 mins waiting and I am seen by the Manager!
Good news too! He assures me that my sofa, should be the highest grade leather, and my sofa is the daddy of DFS Sofas (his words). It should be full leather, he said. Back, front and sides. Wow! i showed photo's of my sofa, and he and his staff looked my sofa and they looked shocked! must have not been made correctly then, as I do not have a full leather sofa.
The manager said that he could not deal with my complaints though? I will be dealt with by the Colchester branch, as I live in Braintree.
Oh well, at least they agree with me.
Their surveyor will be round on Friday, to check things over. This is good as I have an independent upholsterer coming on Friday too.
A curious thing has happened though!!
I walked around Romford, and then drove to Colchester branch, and neither are displaying the Bachelor sofa........? A bit strange I think as this is the daddy of all the sofa's isn't it?
Stock rotation is what I am told. So I can't try the sofa in the showroom? It's probably packed at the back of the store, I am told. Can I try it? No it's packed.
Update on Friday 23rd March
Well we had a guy from DFS arrive unannounced on Friday morning. He walked into the room and said, Ahhh I love that smell it smells just like our showrooms, that is definitely leather he took one look at the sofa and said it was okay? I told him that the seats and backs had no support and we sink into them, he replied well that's normal with a new sofa, it takes about 12 weeks for it to bed in.
What! I said, after 12 weeks the sofa will be softer resembling a blancmange, how exactly is the sofa meant to get firmer and more supportive over time!! He didn't reply and he didn't sit on it, lucky for him, and left within 3 minutes. Arrogant, ignorant idiot (my thoughts only, other arrogant idiots exist). FACT

Also had a guy from Oreon Upholsterers in Braintree. (we paid for him).
He spent thirty minutes looking over the sofa, and sitting on it (poor man). He said he goes to at least two houses every week that have bought DFS sofas, and sees the same problems all the time.
What about this sofa? He laughed..... Well there is no lumber support what so ever, terribly under-filled backs! The seats are incredibly soft, and you sink into the sofa.
The Leather is not great, there are two very different grades of leather, the leather on the sides and back is very poor. The Chaise has a design fault as it reclines too far forward exposing the frame and you end up sitting on the frame instead of the under-filled seat!
Why?
Filling is inadequate Well there is no lumber support again, and the seat moves to far forward when reclined, so you sit on the frame, which is very uncomfortable.
How much will it cost to repair? I asked.
Well it needs to be taken apart, like we are going to renovate it, we would then fill the seats, lumber, headrests and arms fully. We would then adjust or remake the chaise assembly and put it all back together!

err. Do you know this sofa is two weeks old, I say.
Its going to cost hundreds of pounds he says. I am stunned...................

I ask for a report. He says it wont help.
He says, you will have better luck with the Furniture Ombudsman.

So I now have to fill in lots of forms, pay for them to come an survey the sofa, and if they think it is not fit for purpose, or if anything is wrong, they will talk to DFS directly.
Phew!
I also get a call from DFS Colchester. He was very understanding, and said to send him photos of the sofa, and he may personally come round and look at it.
Well I am and you must be bored of me chattering on, buying a DFS sofa has hurt my back, caused stress, and also made me have to write letters, make phone calls and fill in forms.
This feels a million miles from the tea and coffee offered at time of sale with the line from the sales man. Don't spend anymore money today HEE HEE!
I am sick of the smell and the sofa being in my house. It reminds me every time I look at it, of how ripped off I feel, and I look at it, not sit on it a lot.
As it is the daddy of the DFS range. I am sure all of this will end in me being given another Dodgy ******* Sofa from DFS. Oh well you live and learn. DO NOT MAKE THE SAME MISTAKE I MADE PLEASE.

• Romford