I could cry.

• Style

• Service & Support

sadcafe's review of Smeg FAB 28 Retro

“I could cry.”

Written on: 04/09/2013 by sadcafe (1 review written)

We fell in love with the FAB28 fridge as soon as we saw it. Pretty soon, bits started falling off.

First the door hinge of the freezer compartment broke. It simply snapped and fell apart.

Next, I noticed cracks in the milk bottle shelves. I actually had the audacity to put milk on the shelves, and this is obviously outside the design parameters.

All three shelves cracked and eventually gave way. I was able to delay the eventual demise of the shelves with clear gaffer tape, but ultimately the were beyond use and beyond repair. Furthermore, the mouldings for the bottom door shelf snapped off.

The inner door plastic moulding is cracked at the bottom corner.

If you're unlucky enough to own one of these, you can extend the life of it by treating it very gently and not putting anything heavy in the door shelves. In fact, my advice would be to switch it off, don't use it, and just look at it. Buy a discrete integrated fridge and use that to keep your groceries cool while the Smeg does its job of looking pretty.

You might think with all this damage that I'm pretty rough, but I assure you I have treated this fridge with kid gloves. It falls apart of its own volition.

Do yourself a favour and avoid.

• More than 1 year