Doe it get any better?

• Style

• Service & Support

Guest's review of Lacanche Macon

Lacanche Macon

“Doe it get any better?”

Written on: 12/07/2012

We've owned a Lacanche Macon for almost 10 years and love to cook. Having a little time to see what is being reviewed about Lacanche I'm amazed at some of the negative comments on this site that the Cluny has received. Still, each to their own. There are comments on cleaning and the knobs getting hot. Cleaning first. The hob is easy to clean, just pour a little water out of the kettle onto the food spills or splatter when you have finished using the hob. When you come back to it, just sponge off the water and leave to air dry. Trivets and the bit the burner sits on go in the dishwasher and you keep the solid brass burner cap shiny by giving it a coat of HP sauce, leave it for 30 min and then wash off. The knobs get hot because the oven door is not closing properly (are the hinges located on the rollers correctly?) or the door seal has gone. Our old Lacanche doesn't have lights in the ovens but I believe the new models do. The linings are acid resistant enamel so can I suggest that after you have finished with the oven and it's been turned off and is cooling down, you place a bowl of water with some Amonia in it and let it steam a little whilst the oven cools. Oven temperatures are pretty good. We use the measurements on the control panel as a guide but if we want a super accurate temperature we use a clip-on oven thermometer. If you bake use the convection oven and place the rack in the middle. Don't forget that the metal housing round the fan at the back of the oven will radiate some extra heat so turn your pastry/cake halfway through the bake or just don't put it that far back in the oven. If you use a static oven the heat comes from the bottom so if you place the rack on the lowest level you end up with the base cooking quicker than the top. If you can, use the rack in the middle of the oven.
Happy cooking!

• More than 1 year

Owned Product For:

• Durability

• Style

Robhob's Comment

Written on: 25/07/2014

I'm really pleased you like your oven but I'm not impressed with mine. I made a mistake and put my two star review in the "Cluny" camp.
Cleaning is not a problem and I lay foil in the bottom of the electric oven to catch most of anything that finds it way there.
But the knobs do heat up when the grill is in use and also to a large degree when the ovens are on due to the vent that runs along the complete width just below the row of nobs.
I'm no expert on cookers but after 8 years the fan oven element burned out and was extremely difficult to replace because there was no slack on the two heat resistant wires that fit onto the element. Hoping a local spares for ovens would fit, I found in comparison that the quality of the element was no better than one from a cheap and cheerful cooker, although the element was 5 times more expensive. I also needed to replaced the rubber seal around the door at the same time.
Now 2 years on from that the fan is playing up and will soon need to be replaced.
For the past 5 years one of the hob burners has been difficult to ignite, when I press the ignition button I can hear that it is sparking from underneath the hob base which probably means the insulation on the ignition wire to that particular burner has deteriorated. I would have thought the wiring should last in excess of 30 years.
still cooking.

Sodall's Comment

Written on: 28/07/2014

Hi, seems you like to cook to. Regarding the knobs, if the oven seal is deteriorating then it's reasonable to think that oven heat can escape and warm up the knobs. It's a 2 minute job to replace a seal. Can I ask if you grill with the door open because on a Lacanche you always grill with the door closed. Never open. If you go onto Youtube and type in Lacanche there are some excellent tutorials that show you how to adjust different things including checking out the spark and adjusting it if necessary as it may have moved a little when the hobs been cleaned.