Advocate caused very nasty side effect

leasa's review of Advocate for Cats

“Advocate caused very nasty side effect”

Written on: 17/10/2012 by leasa (3 reviews written)

My vet prescribed Advocate for small cats, for my cat Frappe, within 2 days she had a large open sore on the dosage site on her neck.
Consumers are led to believe by both my vet, and Bayer's own test findings as published on the website, that side effects do not exist. But the product seemed to literally burn a hole in her fur and skin. As for the fleas, she's never had them in the 6 years I've had her, but the vets still push you to de-flea them...must get commission for selling it.
Will never use again!

Aisa's Response to leasa's Review

Written on: 17/01/2013

I used advocate for a year on my 4 year old cat with no problems BUT the last monthly dose he had a very severe reaction to, nearly died infact,I will never use a spot treatment again PEOPLE BEWARE

Sueffun's Response to leasa's Review

Written on: 24/09/2013

I bought advocate for the first time and noticed that the one 6month old cat had scabs on his head from scratching and a round wound where I had used the advocate. We had been on holiday and I thought it was a flea allergy or mites, took him to the vet and he looked for mites and ringworm but it was none of these, he suggested putting on another dose of Advocate. Four days later he now has another bloody wound again where I put the stuff on, so now I am convinced he is reacting to that. I even changed his food thinking it was a food allergy. The other four cats are fine with it.

Pattygeeuk's Response to leasa's Review

Written on: 30/04/2013

hi I used advocate on my 8 year old Persian cross last month and noticed a little bald spot a couple of days later. I thought he"d been fighting at first so wasn't too worried. but have used it again this month and he has a huge round red raw bald spot in exactly the same place that I used the product!!!! my god what the hell do they put in the stuff? im so gutted that he has this wound because I did it to him. obviously I wont be using it again but after reading your story I just wanted to tell you mine. im totally disgusted and shall be writing to the company.

Leasa's reply to Pattygeeuk's Comment

Written on: 30/04/2013

I really hope you get a better response than I did, they told me that side effect did not exist, and that it must a coincidence and caused by something else. She'd had it before shortly after using the product but not as bad. I feet so guilty that I did that to her! But we shouldn't, we were trying to look after them as best we could on vet recommendation. I hope your kitty heals quickly x Frappe healed and the fur grew back.

Gdr42's reply to Leasa's Comment

Written on: 26/05/2013

Hi there, ive just noticed the same thing as you describe on my cat and was wondering what action you took? Did it just heal naturally i did you need to see a vet or take some other action like bathing thoroughly? Also how long it took to heal?
Cheers

Leasa's reply to Gdr42's Comment

Written on: 28/05/2013

Hi!
It healed within a few weeks, and took about 2 months after that for the fur to grow back.
I was using damp cotton swabs with aloe (bought from pets at home) for a few days just to keep it clean and stop it itching. Hope your cat heals as well as frappe did x