I AM VERY WORRIED

Guest's review of Advocate for Cats

“I AM VERY WORRIED”

Written on: 15/07/2012

ive been using this on my cat for a few years, no problems or strange behaviour, although a friend of mine is convinced advocate killed his cat. i used this treatment on my cat today as i do every few months and he became very agitated and withdrawn, we washed it off straight away. i went online to find some reviews and found there were so many people with this problem, i seriously believe this product should be taken off the market until it is proved to be safe to ALL cats. And to those who do not believe this could happen to you, i sincerely hope not!!

Zoricam's Comment

Written on: 11/10/2014

I am afraid there is no product safe for ALL cats.
I am reading this board because I am trying to decide anti-flea product for my tom cat after his sister (both are 3 year old healthy cats) had a serious adverse reaction to Frontline spot-on application. I treated them both the same day two months ago (home cats, but fleas managed to infest the house this summer, I was the culprit for sure since I am the only one who ventures outside the house), and 48 hours later she had her first epileptic seizure!!
Right after the application, she was drooling and had occasional foam in her mouth, but I hoped it would go away since it is described as a mild adverse reaction to Frontline in some cats. How could I know it will turn out to be so serious! I washed the product off her the next day when I realized the drooling had not stopped , but soon she had her first convulsion and continued to have seizures every 2-3 hours. Horrific experience! Of course, we rushed to the vet clinic, she was put on Phenobarbital and got better very soon. No seizures any more, vet is cutting the dosage slowly, she is optimistic and believes the insecticide was the cause of seizures so we hope for the best. No flea products for my female cat anymore, I don't care what active ingredient they are based on! As she already shown to be hypersensitive to one active ingredient, no way I will gamble with her life hoping she will be o.k. with the other. Fleas did not try to kill her as chemicals almost did.
Her brother was fine from the beginning, no adverse reaction, except that he still has fleas! He received two treatments (frontline combo: finopril + S-metophrene) all ready, but I still find fleas alive and kicking in his fur. So I concluded our population of fleas must be resistant to finopril - active ingredient in Frontline. That is why I must try something else for him. Of course, as she is off any possible insecticide for the rest of her life, she is now treated old fashion way: bathing and combing , which she luckily enjoys :) . I now find less fleas on her than on him! He is the carrier and the host for fleas now. I consider Advocate for him, to try something that will be able to kill our population of fleas . Frontline is for far too long in use in my country, so I believe much of the fleas are now resistant to it. In the meanwhile, the house is thoroughly cleaned, vacuumed, their beddings washed every 5-7 days. No infestation any more, but we must try to eradicate them somehow. Since he hates water but can tolerate chemicals pretty well, I hope!, I am looking for some different spot-on product to treat him with.
Conclusion: nothing is safe for all cats, we just need to be very cautious and learn from experience. Read, observe, react on the first sign of trouble and think of safe solutions for your particular cat. They are all different, like we are. I myself tolerated antibiotics very well till I was 32. And then ended up in the hospital for severe allergic reaction to cephalosporin. Now I have limited options of antibiotics when ill. It just happens, nothing can be 100% safe and 100% of the time. It depends on so many unknowns in our organism that we just can't be certain of safety of any chemical that we use on us or on our cats.