Do Not Use This Product

catthing's review of Advocate for Cats

“Do Not Use This Product”

Written on: 22/12/2011 by catthing (1 review written)

hello, my name is Andy and my cat is called Tesla.
i had taken my cat to the vet and he gave her a clean bill of health,
did a blood test and said she was very healthy with a beautiful coat.
she didnt have fleas and is a house cat but he told us to put on advocate anyway.
with in 1 day she began to act odd, staring into space and not eating, she just slept alot, 2-3 days after she appeared to recover but was still odd.just after a week she started to get ill so we rushed her back to the vet and were told she had kidney failure, and he couldnt understand. i told the vet about advocate and he said he would check it out.this is december 20th 2011.we took tesla home as she was still drinking and eating small amounts.the next day we rushed her back to the vet as she was being sick(pure water) and drinking loads, also trying to sleep and then moving then trying to sleep.

we got a phone call about 10pm and were told that she was in a very bad way and could they put her to sleep, my wife and i rushed to the vet and held my poor cat as he put her to sleep, i just kept saying her name and stroking her till she died.
the vet is convinced advocate (also known as advance in usa) killed her.
the product was applied properly and she did not lick any of it.
it was sold to us by the vet.
i buried my cat yesterday.
ive looked online and found this is happening a lot in the states and now in england. if you google the name you will just get reviews but dig a bit deeper and hundreds of cases are out there.
google "Dangerous Pet Products"? on youtube and you will see, also try "flea medicine killed my pet"
also people who have used this product for a few times with no bad results have also said it eventully killed their pet.
please dont take the chance, dont kill your cat with this product.

Emmie73's Response to catthing's Review

Written on: 12/03/2012

Sorry for the loss of your cat, that is dreadful. But I really don't think that Advocate was the culprit :/ Advocate is used by thousands and the vets would not sell a product that harmed cats. It has to be tried and tested thoroughly, else they would seriously be facing a law-suit! I really believe that your cat was ill for another reason and it just coincided with using the Advocate...a coincidence. Or she had an underlying condition that the Advocate interfered with, maybe? It seems extreme what your cat went through and surely there was more to it than using Advocate. I have 5 cats and have always used this product and I have never had a problem with them being ill, or even slightly off in there mood! There is nothing else on the market as good, and that really kills fleas! And the added wormer and ear-mire control is a Godsend! I do sympathise with your case and wish any cats you may have, better health in the future.

Zemphyra's Response to catthing's Review

Written on: 07/09/2014

I gave my cat Advocate, within a day she was not well. The next day she was drooling (the drool was like thick like mucous) and it had flecks of blood in it. The smell of her drool was, I can only describe it as being like sort of odd chemical as I've never smelt anything like it before. I rang the vet and they asked me to check if she was dehydrated. She wasn't so they asked me to bring her first thing in the morning. So first thing I took her to my vet and they said she wasn't dehydrated yet, but they would have to give her fluids. My cat wasn't acting herself. Her voice was hoarse, she kept lying in one place and she couldn't eat or drink though she clearly wanted to. She would walk to her favourite foods I had put out, put her head down and give her food a lick and then walk to the other bowl and do the same and go back and forth between the bowls. She also threw up that first day this stuff that was very dark brown in colour and had that awful smell - not one of rot or infection but one that was chemical in nature. Her breath was found to be laboured. The vet decided to start with X-rays. They found she was constipated and gave her an enema. Then they gave her BIBs which are spherical objects that as they travel through the digestive system and show up on X-ray. She had already had one night of stay in at the vet at this stage but because she wasn't eating at the vet and we put it down to her nervous nature I took her home. Well she still wouldn't eat so I began force feeding her by spoon. The next day she was back at the vet and she hadn't passed all the spheres. They gave her a blood test, it all came back normal. Then they gave her another enema. That afternoon I took her home and the vet told me they could find nothing wrong with her and she was pooping normally again. Well it's been 6 days and I am still force feeding her. I wish I had done my research on Advocate. I love my girl so much. She is my baby. She is not herself. She is bright and looks healthy but she sits in one spot and just can't eat without aid. Please for the sake of your pets, don't use Advocate. It's just not worth the risk. I'm so sorry for your loss...

Poochy11's Response to catthing's Review

Written on: 30/06/2013

Can I just say
I've been using advocate for years
Just recently my seven yr old cat has starting having facial twitches
I'm thinking this is a result of advocate as she's gone very sensitive with rolling skin stares into space and runs a mile when you put it on her!!

I've changed now to stronghold
I'm hoping these twitches subside!!!!
And I've not caused any lasting nerve damage

Written on: 06/07/2012

Can I just add that I have recently - in the last 2 weeks use this product for the first time on a healthy cat. Although I too have noticed that it has amazingly erradicated worms and fleas in super fast time the cat has been very tired and listless, eating and drinking very large amounts and them been off its food completly. In the last 48 hours patches of fur appear to have started to fall out. The treatment was applied to the back of the neck where it could not be liked off. Having read the reviews I too am now very concerned.

Written on: 05/07/2012

hi, tesla was 10 years old when she was taken from us, she was a normal size, not skinny but not a large cat by any means.
ive put this warning in a number of places and am getting a lot of feed back, some of the minor things that of heard about and that you should watch for are skin burns on the place where the treatment is put and in some cases all over the pet (dogs and cats), a change in behaviour, reverting to a kitten or puppy state, a lethargic state and going off their food or drinking lots.
really you have to know your pet, some people are not as close to their pets as others and will not notice until it gets bad.
tesla was weighed and given the treatment for a cat of her size and weight by the vet.
im not saying every cat will get ill or die, but knowing this can and does happen i feel someone has to try to warn people.
most of the time when i reply to these and other comments it can get me quite upset but i will keep it up for the sake of my tesla and to try and save even one other cat.
if anyone is reading this because their cat is acting funny, please dont wait to see if they get better, GET THEM TO A VET FAST.
Andy

Written on: 05/07/2012

This is very disturbing. I would like to know how old the cat was when this happened and how large or heavy. I have given Advocate/Advantage to my cats during flea season for about 5 years now and haven't had any problems.

Written on: 13/06/2012

That's terrible. Many thanks for sharing your story but it is so sad. Their website says "The active ingredient (moxidectin) enters your pet’s bloodstream...to prevent heartworm infection" - that sounds pretty powerful to me and makes me think. I think some cats are OK with moxidectin while others are not. But how would I know whether my cats would be fine or not??

I wish I didn't have to use any chemical on my cats (I used a different product and they have been OK so far. Touch wood). In my experience, a regular bath is a good defense against fleas, but I got my current cats when they were already adult and they had not been brought up with a bathing habit. There are many ill-informed "natural" flea treatments around, too; one example is orange with/without lemon infused water to spray on cats. I cannot imagine they would like the smell. As a pet owner, I agree we should do our home work before administering anything to our feline friend.

Written on: 13/06/2012

Dear Tabboo, so sorry to hear about Tosh. My wife and I wept reading your message, we really hope that he pulls through. It would seem that while many people are fortunate not to experience problems, we are receiving more and more messages from people like yourselves who are not convinced that this product is safe. So many coincidences. And there are alternatives! We now have a new kitten, and have found an extremely sympathetic vet, he has been very understanding, and he has agreed to source different treatments, so far, so good. All I can say is please keep a very close eye on him and keep taking him back to the vets until he improves. Kidney problems in cats can be kept at bay, sometimes for years, with medication and a strictly controlled diet, I have heard from people whose cats have survived for a considerable time after diagnosis. I hope that this is the case for Tosh, please do not give up. I wish you all the best xx

Tabboo's Response to catthing's Review

Written on: 13/06/2012

Hello my cat has had the very same symptoms twice recovering but with large vet bills and us worrying all the time, how long have we got left with our boy. Tosh was diagnosed with some kidney problems and we feared the worse.Advocate was used each time tosh became ill and it was only a matter of days. He is now ill again sitting somewhere cool, drinking lots of water and has not eaten now for two days after being sick. the very same as beforr. we gave him Advovate on the 8th june. what can i say he is a changed cat, The vet says its unlikely to be the advocate but im not convinced.

Written on: 16/03/2012

sorry for being a bit off, as a follow up the vet contacted bayer, the makers of the flea treatment and they claimed their product does not affect the kidneys of cats. i did a bit of research on the chemicals and it turns out they do make the kidneys swell.bayer also paid for all the vet treatment on tesla and also covered the cost of having her put to sleep(killed). this in itself speaks volumes.
i have also been contacted by dog owners that and have been told of burns to the skin,dogs reverting to a puppy like state permently and dogs going quiet straight after the treatment, also the death of dogs.
i think not many people put two and two together after the treatment ie older cats dying.
all in all advocate works, tesla has no fleas worms or tics, sadly she has no heartbeat either.

Emmie73's Response to catthing's Review

Written on: 16/03/2012

Hi Andy,

That is totally your choice and I do sympathise greatly with you losing your cat. I have read the statistics and agree the odds are high but as I say, I have 5 cats and my friend has 13 :/ Her cousin has 11. My mum has 4, my other friend has 3 and my aunty has 7....and we all use Advocate with no symptoms whatsoever. So it is a bit weird one! But if you really do believe it was the Advocate that killed your cat then who am I to argue. Maybe I am wrong in thinking this product is totally safe. Just in my experience, and every one I know, it has been safe.

I guess it remains a mystery. But as I say I wish you better joy in the future with any product you use on your cats. Take care :)

Written on: 14/03/2012

its your choice emmie but do your homework, look it up and what do the odds have to be for you to stop using it, 100 to 1 maybe, personally i wont use it again.