Sometimes it's good to judge a book by its cover

timmytank's review of Yann Martel, Life of Pi

Yann Martel, Life of Pi

“Sometimes it's good to judge a book by its cover”

Written on: 30/11/2011 by timmytank (80 reviews written)

This book is just amazing. I recommend it to the few people I know who haven't already read it!

I was lucky enough to pick this up for a holiday when it was first published many years ago, before I was aware that had even been shortlisted for any literary prizes. I'm so glad, as I had no expectations or knowledge of it. I savoured every page as a refreshing breath of fresh air. I rarely choose a book based on its beautiful cover illustration but perhaps I will do more often as this was such a great find!

Life of Pi deserves every accolade it has won and more. I don't want to ruin the surprise by giving away any of the plot but the young Pi is a very likeable character, and you want to fight for him all the way.

Everyone has their own take on this book and its surprising ending, but whatever your view I am sure that it will be a positive one.

This is a real favourite of mine, and is in my top 5 books of all time. It is completely unique in every way,

• Hardback