Good book, but liked the movie better

Guest's review of F.Scott Fitzgerald, The Great Gatsby

F.Scott Fitzgerald, The Great Gatsby

“Good book, but liked the movie better”

Written on: 24/05/2013

I finally got around to reading The Great Gatsby having seen the movie a week ago. Like most, I'm sure at some point in my schooling, I was actually required to read it, but I somehow managed to skip that requirement.

The part I enjoyed most in reading the book (vs. watching the movie) is that Fitzgerald's writing is truly poetic. The movie does try to capture this with it's grand cinematography, but the pictures Fitzgerald paints with his words seem to be much more vivid oddly. That's the sign of a great writer, of course.

Where I enjoyed the movie more is capturing the energy of the period (the 1920s) and how it played into the tragic tale of Mr. Gatsby. Maybe it was the modern, hip soundtrack. Or maybe it was a series of brilliant acting performances. But whatever the case, the movie made me feel as though i was in the era, whereas the book made it hard for me to relate to the era.

All in all, I'd say it's a must-read regardless of your literary taste. There's a reason, I suppose, why classics are classic to begin with.

• Paperback