Oh how I love thee, simply a wonderful car....

• Performance

• Practicality

• Reliability

charlieboy0_6's review of Saab 9000 2.0 CSE

“Oh how I love thee, simply a wonderful car....”

Written on: 30/04/2012 by charlieboy0_6 (1 review written)

I have had (in 2003-2005) a fairly high mileage early model CDE (the one with a boot not the hatch) 2 litre LPT on a G plate and whilst it had a few problems it proved to be the breath of fresh air I needed after having 3 boring brand new cars on the trot. OK the fuel consumption wasn't as great as my other car but I was no longer paying several hundred £ a month on HP and I paid a whopping £205 for it! I had it for around 2 years and only got rid of it as I was going away with "work" for 6 months to a desert type place and whilst my G/F of the time would happily drive my MkII Golf, she refused to put fuel into the SAAB as it did about 10mpg less than her jap wonder car....What she failed to realise was that the ratty revvy 1600cc Automatic Golf was a lot more thirsty than the long legged luxury SAAB!

I returned sadly with a spinal injury and on my "retirement" from said government "job" due to my injury I decided it was now or never and set about hunting down a good 9000. I found & bought in 2008 a one (British Diplomat) owner 2.0 LPT Anniversary.
He bought the car whilst on Diplomatic Duty in Sweden and brought it back to the UK on his return. He finally sold the car on his retirement and downsized to a BMW Mini.
This Anniversary came with 107k on the clock and a wonderful full service history. It is a wonderful car that drives like a new car (in fact better than quite a few new cars I have driven)and I drove it happily with a huge smile as I occasionally watched befuddled BMW drivers in my rear view mirror and melting young Chavs in their so called performance enhanced "rice burners" for about 2 years at which point the fun had to end.. Sadly it was I, not the car that failed to proceed as my spinal injury which cases a constant high level of pain got the better of me and has had me pretty beat and bed bound for the majority of the past 2 years (Be careful what you wish for...I remember being so exhausted after some Oversea's government sponsored "holiday" or exercise in some cold and wet corner in the back of beyond here in this wonderful green land that I would say "I could go to bed and never get up"....It's nearly bloomin happened I should have learned my lesson after all my Mother did warn me repeatedly about pulling faces and the wind changing....but no I knew better and now I scare kids away from dangerous places with just a smile!!

Anyway I wander from the 9000, I am hoping to put it back on the road as it has been laid up for almost 2 years due to my injury. (It has never failed to start when I've turned the key & run it up and down the driveway) But the "smiles" per hour are huge and I think I could do with the boost to my happy gene as I am still is as much pain today as I was back in 2005 when I was injured :(....
I think I will go down the 6months OTR and 6 SORN as I will never use my Diesel Peugeot 3008 whilst it is there tempting me!!

If your looking for a great luxury motor they are still out there and available at silly (little) money...they will soon start to become scarce as people let them get chopped and banger raced so save yourself a fast paced super model!!

Charlie