Withheld £10,000 of Rent!

Bill303's review of Northwood Estate Agents

“Withheld £10,000 of Rent! ”

Written on: 24/07/2013 by Bill303 (1 review written)

I used Northwood to manage my portfolio of properties and found them to be dishonest on every level.

I was repeatedly charged for maintenance work that was not required. This came to light when I received an estimate for £1,800 for a water leak. After submitting an insurance claim my insurance company sent out an assesor who found that most of the work on the estimate was unnecessary and the work was eventually done for £700.

After this incident and many others when I was overcharged for work as well as several occasions where properties were returned to me in very poor condition I decided to switch my properties to another letting agent.
Northwood’s response was to attempt to evict all my tenants without any authaurity and not following the proceedures outlined in the housing act. After some of these tenants sought legal advice Northwood backed down but then withheld all rent they collected on my behalf, the total sum exceeding £10,000.

Northwood have maintained throughout that their contract entitles them to claim compensation of six months rent per property from any landlord wishing to leave them and that they had upheld this action in court many times.

After taking legal action myself Northwood did eventually back down and repaid all rent withheld along with £7,000 compensation.

I would highly recommend avoiding using them at all costs-

• Rent-Out Property