Exorbitant commission for poor service.

Guest's review of Bairstow Eves - www.bairstoweves.co.uk

“Exorbitant commission for poor service.”

Written on: 23/09/2012

I have not sold/bought for many years and was not up to speed with the way things worked these days. When I decided to move I invited Bairstow Eves to sell my house (A mistake I will not repeat) I had to pay £400 up front and on completion pay a commission of 3%. I discovered I was also locked into a six month sole agency contract. Over the weeks I came into contact with other agents who always asked who my agent was, when I said Bairstow Eves I would usually get a sharp intake of breath. I soon discovered that BE were by far the most expensive (More than twice as expensive as some agents)Initially I was told by the sharp suited BE agent that she already had two cash buyers lined up to view my property, she assured me it would sell very quickly.

During the six months of the contract I reduced my asking price by 12% and had just one offer, which I declined. After reading the lengthy contract (I actually understood some of it)I informed Bairstow Eves in writing that after the initial agency period had expired I no longer wished them to act as our agent, they did not respond to that letter. However I was advised by telephone that if I did sell to the one person who made the only offer on my property I would still be liable to pay Bairstow Eves their 3% commission. I have also asked for my £92 EPC (In writing 3 weeks ago) as yet no response.

Hey ho, we live and learn. Bairstow Eves...never again.

• Sell Property