Finally something from MS done well, but not for me just yet

• Spam Protection

OnBayUK's review of Outlook.com

“Finally something from MS done well, but not for me...”

Written on: 13/08/2012 by OnBayUK (1 review written)

The transition from Hotmail to Outlook takes about 3 clicks. It's all very simple. Are you sure? Do you want an outlook.com alias? How do you want us to handle your old emails? Deals with all the points i'd have wanted without the mess of doing it myself. I used the new Outlook for a week and overall it was an excellent upgrade from the Hotmail i'd been used to.

My problem, however, was that in changing the way my old account was handled (make a new folder for it and let Outlook.com create a rule where any mail to my old address was put in that folder). That rule superceded all other rules and I ended up with spam after spam after spam. The old Hotmail had handled those mails brilliantly, but I was now left with my old inbox full of spam and my outlook.com inbox was relatively empty.

I changed back to Hotmail after a quick search through the spam options to see if there was a way to fix the issue. Being honest, it's the only issue I actually had - but not being able to tell between who wants to actually talk to me and who wants to scam my bank account from under my nose became annoying rather quickly. That is the negative side of having a 15 year old hotmail.com email address.

I would recommend all hotmail users try the outlook service and see what they think. The view is streamlined, very nice and clean, and will no doubt fit well within Windows 8. Microsoft have done well this time.

• Spam Protection

Mrswilson12's Response to OnBayUK's Review

Written on: 24/09/2012

I couldnt agree more, about time MS have a great online email tool that is reliable and not filled with ads.