Hurricane Stella by Morris - Stratocaster Style - Red

• Sound Quality

• Appearance

lasvegasgeorge's review of Morris Hurricane

Morris Hurricane

“Hurricane Stella by Morris - Stratocaster Style - Red”

Written on: 11/05/2012 by lasvegasgeorge (1 review written)

I'm an Acoustic Guitar player for over 20 years and recently I was looking to finally learn how to play the Electric Guitar, mostly learn how to play Leads and Riffs etc.. I shopped the Large Guitar stores then pawn shops. I was looking for Guitar 'Feel, Weight, Neck, String Action. Few Electric Guitars felt adequate, usually something was off like the strings were too high on the upper frets, the fret bars had burrs on them and not smooth (new guitars mind you), and the sound was hum drum for guitars under $500 (Epiphone, Ibanez, Fenders etc.)The Fender Squires were the best it seemed but a lot of sustain is carried by the pickups to the wood of the body and neck of the guitar. The 'lower end' guitars are lighter and use cheaper wood and thus produce hum drum sound.

I browsed thru a few Pawn shops and found lots of cheap guitars there, used and abused. I resolved that I would be better off buying a New Fender Squire for the price of a pawn guitar. But, sometimes you get Lucky, and Lucky I was when I found a Hurricane Stella by Morris hanging on a hook in a pawn shop, marked down to $49 on Closeout.

I knew nothing about this Hurricane Stella by Morris so I examined it and found it to be all of what a nice New Stratocaster is like! Fine Feel, nice low string action and playability, beautiful straight crafted maple neck, nice rosewood fretboard, somewhat dirty from someone playing it (a good sign) and nice 'heavier than a cheap guitar' weight to carry sustain and harmonics with a nice amplifier and this one only had 4 strings and out of tune.

Needless to say, I bought it for $49, took it home, cleaned it up, new set of strings and a little bridge adjustment and WOW! I was impressed with the Playability and the Beautiful Sound out of this fine Guitar with a stupid name, 'Hurricane Stella by Morris'.

If you can find one of these at a reasonable price and in good condition, my advice is to Buy it! I know I will never sell mine. I want to say it is almost as good as an Fender American Strat or Gibson SG in playability. Albeit, a small step down, but a great practice and performing guitar that you can play almost type of music on, Rock, R&B, Jazz, Blues etc., it all sounds good.

I, like others, have searched the internet for more information on this Guitar but have found very little. My guess on the manufacturer of these guitars is that they must have been made and added as a new line for an established guitar manufacturer who made just a very few of them and then stopped making them altogether. How else could the crafting and materials be so superior to other similar guitars on the market? And, most of the sighting of these guitars seem to come from down under. I'll bet thats where mine came from.

The Hurricane Stella by Morris is well worth over $500 and better than the new clones under $500 for sure. Find one, Buy it and make it your own, you will be glad you did!

• Sound Quality

• Appearance

• Intermediate

Reviewer's Musical Standard