Premier Artist Birch right up there with Gretsch

• Sound Quality

• Appearance

KevInWright's review of Premier Artist Birch

Premier Artist Birch

“Premier Artist Birch right up there with Gretsch”

Written on: 24/11/2012 by KevInWright (1 review written)

My first decent kit, 40+ years ago was a secondhand Premier. After a few years I had a hankering for Gretsch and bought a 24" bass drum rock kit. Had it until I got fed up with lugging it around and decided to go for something smaller. Checked out the usual Japanese fare and the latest Gretsch. The latter was good but expensive and the Jap gear had no defining character. I then tracked down a Premier dealer and from the first run round the toms I felt at home. Playing Premier felt like returning to my roots. My Artist Birch kit is superb. Great sound, bright but with balls, the red sparkle lacquer is so deep and the fittings are simple and sturdy. The 'diamond chrome' I coveted in my youth is still present and correct in the 21st century.

Anyone looking for a sensibly priced kit with character and an enviable lineage back to the early days of manufacturing in England need look no further.

• Sound Quality

• Appearance

• Intermediate

Reviewer's Musical Standard