Not reliable & spare part discontinued - Disgraceful

• Style

• Service & Support

Bogtrotter's review of AEG D8800-4-A

AEG D8800-4-A

“Not reliable and spare part discontinued - Disgraceful ”

Written on: 25/01/2013 by Bogtrotter (1 review written)

The oven was superb to use -I could not fault it for features and cooking. However, with normal family use, it needed a new sensor after 4 years - this was was easily repaired. However, last month, when it was 5 and a half years old, the power board (PCB) went faulty and AEG/Electrolux have DISCONTINUED the part so we have to scrap an otherwise perfectly good oven costing £730 when new.
Whilst looking through the latest AEG brochure, I note there is no mention whatsoever of how long parts will be available.

A worrying point - when the power board failed, the main oven got hotter and hotter and would not switch off using the controls. It appeared to be off but was continuing to heat up and went way past the heat settings. We had to flick the isolation switch to stop it.
We are buying a different brand oven now because they promise parts will be available for at least 10 years after the model is discontinued.
My repair man said the policy of discontinuing electronic power boards is not unusual among some companies so check out spare parts policy carefully before you buy.

When I rang customer service to complain, the staff member sympathised but could not help. He said he'd speak to his manager and call back the next day. I had to go out that day and they might have rung - but there was no message and no contact since. The least they could have done is offer a goodwill reduction on another oven (not that we ever want another AEG again) - but they didn't even do that.

• More than 1 year