Absolutely abysmal

• Layout of shop

Guest's review of Comet

“Absolutely abysmal ”

Written on: 17/10/2012

Purchased a small freezer in May this year. It was never quite right and totally stopped working in August. Went back to the store and asked for a refund or replacement but was told to contact the manufacturer. I pointed out that my contract was with them, the retailer, and asked to speak to the manager. He too, refused to do absolutely anything but gave me a telephone number to phone for 'a repair'.
These calls cost 10p per minute on top of normal charges, and for some reason I was always 'number 4' in the queue and would be hanging on the line for an average of 15 minutes (fancy having to pay extra to report a fault anyway).
A date was arranged for an engineer to call and I waited in all day until 4pm before ringing again to check where he was.
'Oh, he's not coming' was the reply. 'Why not?' .... 'Because he hasn't got your full phone number and they have to ring first'.

'Why didn't he just come to my house without ringing?'..... 'They're not allowed to do that'..... 'Then why didn't he phone you to find out my phone number?' ....
'Dunno - maybe it's because he's a man'.

Beggars belief!!!!
This saga went on for the next three weeks, waiting for the part, arranging another day to stay in etc. This time the same engineer said it wasn't a compressor that was needed after all(!), but a leak at the back of the freezer and he'd write it off. Thank goodness for that.
I did get my refund eventually, but only after spending a lot of frustrating time trying to get a conclusion. I think I was one of the lucky ones.
No wonder Comet are making huge losses, and they'll probably go under in the next year or so. I would never use them again and advise other prospective customers to go elsewhere. I doubt if you'd ever find a worse customer service in the whole country.

• Proline freezer