Very sick dog!

rcrowley32's review of Pets at Home Puppy Complete

“Very sick dog!”

Written on: 19/11/2011 by rcrowley32 (5 reviews written)

I got my 10 week old puppy the Pets at Home brand of dog food. When I switched from the food the breeder had given me to this brand she started getting horrible diarrhea and blood in her stool. I though it was Parvo or some equally horrible disease. She was miserable and became dehydrated and I had to give her Dioralyte. And at one point I thought she might actually die.

I read up on quality dog food and how a high percentage of meat is very important. This brand of dog food had only 10% meat, while others had 30% or more. It was only half the price of high quality dog food (1/3 of the meat should be 1/3 of the price so they're obviously making a lot of money making dogs sick!)

I switched my puppy to Eukanuba and she was so much better!!! She immediately starting pooping normally and eventually gained back the weight that she lost on the Pets at Home brand.

Please, for your dog's sake and your own, do not buy this!

Madxforxdogs's Response to rcrowley32's Review

Written on: 05/10/2014

I'm sorry to hear about your dog and glad it's better now. Having read the positive and negative comments on here I think it's fair to say that, like humans, all dogs are different and because of their genetic make up all can react differently to different foods. Whilst I'm fine with baked potato skins, you shouldve smelt the house when my ex boyfriend had eaten them!!
Yes it's always advisable to introduce a new food gradually to a dog of any age and it may be that a new food doesn't suit all dogs.
I have a 17 week old boxer, staffy,?, cross. Whilst with his rescuers he was weaned on autarky but due to cost and very healthy appetite I was forced to look for someshing more affordable. I chose the pets at home brand as I felt it had to be reasonably good to uphold their reputation as a major pet store. I am very fortunate that he not only loves it but has had no problems with his health or we'll being. He is growing up to be a very healthy, large, happy and lovely dog. I will continue to monitor him and should things change in the future due to changes in his needs and digestive system, I will obviously have to look for a different brand. Up to now though I'm pleased to say he's doing great on the food