NATUREDIET CAN SERIOUSLY DAMAGE YOUR PETS' HEALTH!

parsley00's review of Naturediet Pet Foods

“NATUREDIET CAN SERIOUSLY DAMAGE YOUR PETS' HEALTH!”

Written on: 19/06/2011 by parsley00 (2 reviews written)

If you would like to know why, read on …. When we adopted our dog, we purchased several boxes of Naturediet and started to feed our pet. She seemed hesitant to eat the food but, as this was the only food available to her, she ate it, reluctantly. We found various cartons ‘blown’ and the food rotten. We wrote to Nature Diet advising them of the incidence of blown packs. the following standard PR response was their answer to this problem. ‘With no preservatives in our products, we rely on the packaging to protect the contents, preventing anything from entering or escaping the packs. If the packaging has been compromised in any way bacterial spoilage will occur.’ In other words, they did not accept any responsibility.
She was unwell for a lot of the time and we were at a loss to understand why.

We continued feeding our pet with Nature Diet and her health continued to deteriorate to such an extent that in March she was so ill, we almost lost her. We had been visiting our vet since January on a regular basis as a direct result recurring diarrhoea/vomiting. I took the decision to stop feeding her the Nature Diet when I found that, apart from the blown packs, some of the packs had not blown, but were seeping through broken seals. As my husband had no sense of smell, he could not smell that this food was also rancid. The sell by dates on these packs were in excess of one year. Within 2 days of withdrawing Nature Diet from her diet, she began to recover. She is now a healthy, happy little dog. Under no circumstances would I return her to Nature Diet. Indeed I would strongly recommend that anyone feeding their pet in this way perhaps think again.

Nature Diet asked me to return the remaining food to them, which I did. I explained at the time that the rancid food had been disposed of, on smell alone. At each turn I had to chase them as they seemed reluctant to do anything; they even had the nerve to tell me that, ‘we could find no cause for concern with several packs that we sent away’, disregarding my statement that I had already disposed of the rancid food because of the awful smell. After spending hundreds of Pounds on veterinary fees and obtaining a letter from my vet stating that the test results implied that Nature Diet caused her illness, they still denied any responsibility. Any statement this Company makes should be treated with the same disregard and apparent contempt they are treating the animals that eat their food. We pointed out to them that they could well have a problem with the vacuum sealing of their product, bearing in mind the incidence of inedible cartons (not only my experience, but at 2 retailers I purchased their food from and another dog owner I had spoken to) and they still disregarded my comments. This food may make your pets’ stools firmer, but is it worth their life? I am fully prepared to stand by every statement made in this review.

Guest's Response to parsley00's Review

Written on: 27/04/2012

This review totally reflects my experience with this company. I almost lost my happy healthy 2 year old GSD in the same circumstances and the company didn't give a hoot. If you love your dog do not play russian roulette with his life by giving him this food!!!!

Andrinkie's Response to parsley00's Review

Written on: 13/12/2013

This is exactly my experience - this company is a total disgrace. This company will happily accept compliments and good feedback on their FACEBOOK page but all concerns about the product or questions are deleted. This is not good enough when puppies' health is at stake. Contact customer services and you get a generic response saying it is not their problem but the retailers. My puppies were ill after eating this food and it was only afterwards that I checked the empty pack and the smell was rancid. Many of the packs in the box were bloated and even the ones which were not - that I opened - were a funny colour and the smell is disgusting. amazon.co.uk refunded all our money today and told us to get rid of all the food BUT I am trying to find out who this company has to answer to (Trading Standards etc) and will keep the food as proof.

Smawfield's reply to Andrinkie's Comment

Written on: 13/12/2013

Exactly! This has been going on for years when I started researching their bad food, caused by poor packaging. But still they are selling it in the same packets. It's disappointing when it is advertised as a good wholesome food without a lot of junk in it at a reasonable price.
I am pleased a few people are supporting my complaints as I have had some very nasty replies which was most upsetting as the last think I would do is to make my Poochie unwell! Jenny

Smawfield's Response to parsley00's Review

Written on: 14/01/2013

Same comment they gave me! Rubbish/BAD food!

Chell2's reply to Smawfield's Comment

Written on: 13/12/2013

I had a bad batch too ,sent them a email and their email back was ----------Thank you for your email and I regret to hear you have cause for concern regarding Naturediet Puppy/Junior.

I have looked into this batch number and there does not appear to be any problems with that batch. The appearance and the aroma of Naturediet can be different from batch to batch as we use all natural ingredients.

For a pack, which has been correctly sterilised to become mouldy or smell off, it is necessary for air containing the spoilage bacteria to re-enter the package. This is only possible if the pack has a ruptured seal or a hole somewhere in the pack. The only possible cause is some form of damage to the packing, most probably in the packing or distribution chain. We take every precaution to prevent damage to the point of dispatch and we even print the boxes with “Do Not Drop”, “Plastic Containers Handle With Care”.

If you are not happy to use these packs we recommend returning them to your supplier for replacements or refund.

I have logged your complaint and the batch numbers you have provided and we will do further investigations.

If you have any further problems or queries please do not hesitate to contact us.

Chell2's reply to Smawfield's Comment

Written on: 13/12/2013

Yes Rubbish !!!!! Email i got back from them ------Thank you for your email and I regret to hear you have cause for concern regarding Naturediet Puppy/Junior.

Andrinkie's reply to Chell2's Comment

Written on: 13/12/2013

This is exactly the reponse I got - they KNOW there is a problem but are happy to risk our pets' health for profit.

Smawfield's reply to Chell2's Comment

Written on: 13/12/2013

I am pleased that at last I am not the only person who had problems with this food! I have received some very nasty comments from some people telling me how stupid I was feeding my puppy with food that was off! But as you and others say it isnt obvious. There is obviously still a terrible problem with their packaging and I noticed in the pet shop yesterday it's still the same...seems they do not care about the upsetting illnesses and costs involved after feeding our dogs with it. Jenny

Andrinkie's reply to Smawfield's Comment

Written on: 20/12/2013

Just to add to this. I will be sending samples of the packs (I have loads from one batch) off for microbiological testing (and I will send the bill for this to Naturediet). I have taken advise and there are several avenues that can be followed to have this matter properly addressed once and for all. If anyone wants kept up-to-date with the progress of this please contact me via Facebook through one of my pages karatefundogs.

Smawfield's reply to Andrinkie's Comment

Written on: 20/12/2013

Great! I did actually ask Amazon who I ordered food from to remove Naturediet from their sales...and...they removed the wrong company!! (Natures Harvest!)Tried to rectify but never succeeded!!