Written on: 16/11/2012
This £1 dog treat called Munch & Crunch Serrano Ham Bone was the cause of premature death of my lovely lurcher dog.
I took my dog to my local vet for x-rays to find his small intestine was very swollen and black (packed with something), following half a day of sickness. An operation to remove the substance found that 40cm of undigested compacted crushed up bone was the cause of his illness.
Unfortunately Freddy deteriorated severely overnight and sadly we were forced to make that awful final decision to put him to sleep after ten years companionship.
Ironically this bone called Munch and Crunch was the cause of early death of my beautiful dog. If you are not a pet owner or have never had to make such a terrible decision you probably won't understand how this feels.
I would urge that dog owners are aware of the dangers regarding the digestion of such bones. The only warning on the packaging reads: DOGS SHOULD BE SUPERVISED WHEN EATING TREATS WHICH MAY BREAK INTO SMALLER PIECES and to keep fresh water available.
My dog did not choke on a piece of bone as the warning suggests and he was drinking water! The bone filled his intestine with tiny parts of bone that were not digestible. Perhaps a younger dog would have been OK, but I doubt it very much with the amount of compacted bone that was pulled out.
No matter how much it would have cost to save my dogs life, I would have paid it, but I didn't have that option. All in all this £1 bone cost me my dog and £2162.50! Unfortunately, I had no pet insurance.
I want to ensure that people are aware of the dangers of such bones, especially with older dogs and the importance of pet insurance. Since this I have found senior pet insurance isn't as expensive as I thought and there are a number of insurers that cover, but they won't cover pre-existing conditions.
The supermarket at which I purchased the bone has been kind enough to forward my complaint to the suppliers of the Munch & Crunch Serrano Ham Bone to take the required actions to prevent this happening again.
As rated by our community of reviewers
" Best dog food ever " Read More
Written by emmsy2015
" My dog ate it and has been in hospital for 3 days " Read More
" Wonderful food when you can get into it!!!! " Read More
Written by Patsgang
" Fish dying, rude staff " Read More
Written by Louis1964
" Quality food, happy dogs. " Read More
Written by AlisonfromChorley