As A Former BT 118500 Advisor..

lauraleilana's review of BT 118 500

“As A Former BT 118500 Advisor..”

Written on: 16/05/2012 by lauraleilana (1 review written)

I worked for BT a few months ago when I was 18 and I will be the first to say that their pricing IS ridiculous, and several people I worked with definitely wouldn't be my first choice as an employee. I genuinely cared about my customers and tried to help them despite the mountains of unnecessary abuse I received every single day, and the constant blame for a number being either ex-directory or not being in the database, or being wrongly listed, which is completely down to the business or the person in question. There is another review written by an employee and while I'm not going to question that it is a stressful job with the abuse we all got, some people on my team DEFINITELY deserved it. Saying that, there was a prompt on-screen that you have to read out reminding the customer of the price and the phone number, so if someone hasn't done it for you, it has simply been the particular operator and not the general service. For people saying that they weren't warned about the price, I wouldn't be entirely surprised considering the general incompetence of a lot of the workers I knew, the worst being some of the managers who rarely knew how to deal with people and customers, who instead put it down to a direct science on how to deal with them, where I seen it as dealing with people, talking to them like humans, not a robot, and that there is the only reason I ever got into trouble at work; I hated the way the clones spoke to people, sounding bored and unhelpful. They wouldn't even bother faking empathy or sincerity and it genuinely made me cringe hearing some of the "phone accents" they put on. Is it so hard to sound like a normal-speaking human, or to apologise on behalf of the company and mean it? Short answer, no. At the end of the day, as unbelievable as it may sound, it genuinely was all about the customers for me. I loved speaking to so many different people all day long and some of them were really interesting. Yeah you get your stuck up people, and your stupid people, the vague ones, the rude ones, the ones who just straight up didn't like your accent or you in general. But that's life, not everyone is going to be your best friend. There were still the friendly people, the funny ones etc. I was once asked "why are you so nice and your colleagues are all a**holes?" Put it this way: I was told I was too NICE to my customers. That's the kind of management you're looking at here. All advisers answer calls for at least 60 different numbers including international calls, and yes that can be confusing on busy days, especially since they all had different prices and different target times, the longest at the time being something like 40 seconds for blind and disabled directories (which is a free service by the way if you're registered blind or disabled), but the matter of the fact is, if they haven't told you the price it's a legality issue. They should be able to refund your bill IF you're with BT. If not then refunds are issued in stamps. I want to ask everyone here simply for the sake of all those advisers that genuinely like people and want to do their job without offensive behaviour, if you are annoyed at them for messing you around and you choose to phone back, try not to take it out on a different adviser. For all you know, the person that annoyed you could be in a totally different country considering you have a choice of NI, Wales, Scotland and England. There are at least SOME people who care out there. Some people regret that you've had to phone them. I made it a point to tell everyone I knew not to phone in sheerly because of the prices. Other than that, there are good people working there, it's down to luck I suppose.