Superb quality medium priced DSLR

Geoff C's review of Nikon D90

Nikon D90

“Superb quality medium priced DSLR”

Written on: 26/02/2012 by Geoff C (8 reviews written)

I have been interested in photography for many years and had many different cameras. I bought a D90 to relieve my D80 from being my main camera. The D80 suits my hands, as my wrists are a bit painfull the fit is important. So I got the D90 before it goes out of production as I was concerned I might not get an upgrade as comfortable. The D90 is a D80 made better IMO. Live view is handy but not recomended for regular use - more usefull for checking difficult exposures or White balance. Image quality is great - a little better balanced than the D80 in colour and saturation. Of course everything is adjustabel in settings too.
Biggest bonus is the low noise even at Higher ISO, even better than the pretty good D80 results - I took some indoor pics of family on manual (K) white blance at 2000ISO and they were superb!
This camera is a pleasure to use and the results are great - I don't find I need to tweak as many pics with this camera as I have done with others.

Guest's Response to Geoff C's Review

Written on: 15/03/2012

If you are invested in Nikon eenqpmiut, like the flash and a few lenses, it might make sense to look at a D200, which is on par (or better than) a Canon 30D. You MIGHT see prices finally start to drop, too, since the D300 has been announced.If you only have this flash and no lenses and really want to jump ship to the dark side, go ahead and do it. You can sell the flash on eBay or in some other way and start over with Canon eenqpmiut. You can get $ 150 easily for your SB600, if not more. I know money is money, but you should not let the loss of $ 50-100 on your flash stop you from using Canon if this is what you decided that you want to do.

Guest's Response to Geoff C's Review

Written on: 16/03/2012

Canon and Nikon somewhat cunningly seem to slighter stagger their ranges, so often there was no direct comparison. I looked at the Canon 30D when I got my D80 - either would have been fine - but my arthritus in the wrists dictated. I also slightly prefered the viewfinder of the D80. Having invested in lenses and flash I stuck with it. But IMO either brand is excellent. Yes a 2nd Hand D200 would be a cheap option - the D200 & 300 are not as 'right' for me as the D80 and D90. Love the D90 for those extra updated things it can do.