Great for food optomising, not so good in group

fireboxchaser's review of Slimming World

Slimming World

“Great for food optomising, not so good in group”

Written on: 18/01/2014 by fireboxchaser (5 reviews written)

I finally got fed up with my weight before Christmas and decided to visit my GP to ask if she would recommend mw for some Slimminh World vouchers for 12 weeks of free slimming.

I started goingas soon as I received them despite it being just before xmas.
No time like the present! I lost 1/2 stone by Christmas and got my award which i was quite chuffed about. Then the rot started to set in which was not my fayult. Apparently the next 2 weeks I put on despite following the plan to theletter. The third week when I went in the consultant said that she was sorry but as she had been away for 2 weeks the other consultants scales had been used which meant that everyone just about in the group had put on!!

I went this week and had lost 2 llbs again which is a relief, but I was not impressed with the 'supposed' weight gains the previous 2 times. it could have made me think it wasn't worth it and stop doing it!

Also, the group is on the large side and I know they get commission on the numbers attending, but barring the first 2 weeks i haven't stayed to group since as its really boring (and not uplifting!) sitting listening to everyones losses or gains. I now go early to beat the long queues for paying and weighing and then go home. i am quite a strong person and can motivate myself so I will succeed.

I have done SW before many years ago and with great success. That was the best group I have ever attended. The consultant had a different topic each week which she made very interesting and made you want to stay. She also had a chap come in once a fortnight and cook SW meals up rigt in front of us for us to try out. Now THAT is what I call image therapy! We always went away totally motivated for the next week. Something needs to be done to sort out the long queues for paying and then weighing, plus the consultants need to be doing more than juust standing there reading out weight losses and gains. There is NO motivation in that at all!

Gardener21's Response to fireboxchaser's Review

Written on: 30/03/2014

Well said, it's the same at the class I attend. Long queues to stand and get weighed. Again the consultant stands at the front of the class and reads out everyone's weight losses or gains and then ask either how they managed it or what did they do wrong to put on weight. She also then asks everyone what they want to lose for the next week and I feel she badgers people into saying they want to lose a lot more than they actually can. I think all classes are the same and the consultants just read from the book. A bit more empathy would be greatly appreciated I am sure.

Fireboxchaser's reply to Gardener21's Comment

Written on: 31/03/2014

They just dont seem to get it. Sitting there hearing others weight loss for that week and the polite clapping that follows does not motivate anyone. It seems that once they have your money that they just go through the motions and get the class over and done with asap so that they can pack up and go home. If I was a consultant, I would be planning each class to make sure there was something interesting to stay for each week and definitely something motivational!

Happysarah's reply to Fireboxchaser's Comment

Written on: 14/04/2014

you are spot on! I was a SW consultant for a year, you have a really tight script of what you have to do and say when running a group, it is all about getting people through the door. the diet does work if you stick to it and make every thing from scratch..., not so easy when you have a normal hectic family/work life.
I could never get my head around asking people how bad/good they have been when surrounded by many people they don't know, and expect them to give a really honest answer.
The down side to slimming world (I did loose 6 stone) is that it encourages you to eat lots and lots of healthy food, great when you stick to it, but when not on plan you are still in the habit of eating really big meals, so obviously its really easy to regain lots of weight really quickly!! (I have now put on 4 stone).
SW is one huge money making machine, as little as 25% go's to the consultant, and that's after paying out £1,500 to become one in the first place!!

Fireboxchaser's reply to Happysarah's Comment

Written on: 14/04/2014

Flipping heck. £1500 to become a consultant! I have found that to a lesser degree with the portions. I had 12 weeks slimming from my GP and lost a stone. I did try to continue on my own after that partly because i didn't like the attitude of the consultant and I was also unemployed, but once you lose the support online and cant look things up it becomes very difficult!

I have put a few pounds back on but am now just cutting my portion sizes and eating healthy, so hopefully with a bit of exercise i shall start seeing it come off again!