far too crowded classes

Guest's review of Slimming World

Slimming World

“far too crowded classes”

Written on: 15/01/2014

As a new years resolution, I was determined to go to Slimming World again, as I had done that before and it worked, provided you stick to the plan. The last group I went to had moved to a new venue further away, so I found a new, more local class near me. I had phoned the consultant and had a nice chat with her on the phone. However, when I got to the class, it was like a busy church service...there were people absolutely everywhere and at first I couldn't make out who the consultant was. Only later I recognised her because of her badge when someone else told me to join the "newby" table where I had to fill out the enrolment form. She was so busy, and about my size, even though she said she lost 3 stone. Being foreign that doesn't mean a lot to me, as I have grown up with metric measures. They don't standardly use that. There were 25 new people that night, and when I was finally seated for the class to begin, I counted 58 people. Slimming world advertises the 'friends are waiting for you with a smile', but if you are overweight and you finally found the courage to attend a class, it is very daunting to come in such a large group. Members were either chatting to their friend which whom they had come or just sitting and waiting for it to begin, which took ages. When the consultant finally started talking, she said she had done it for a year and she went through the programme with everyone to 'freshen their memory'. She skipped the original and green plan as she said:'we want everyone to do the Extra Easy plan.' She then went on to say that she wouldn't go through all the individual weight losses as the group was too large! I always found that one of the best parts, because if you hear that others have struggled that week or have been really good, it would motivate myself. So I feel that there should be a limit to how many people can attend. Surely a consultant can not give personal attention to 60 members in one class. But as they work on commision, the consultant won't turn anyone away as she makes money from them. The plan has also changed over the years; when I first started you could eat popcorn freely on your diet, that is now sins. Things like tomato-puree and stockcubes,used to be sins but are now free. She also said that you can spray Fry-light freely, but if you pour it from the bottle it would be sins!! So I could spray the whole bottle without it being sins, whilst if I poured a table spoon it needs to be counted as sins...Well I felt very discouraged and this group is definitely not for me, as I do not feel I would gain from going there waiting for a long time and then be told to eat healthy and follow the plan. It tells me that in the booklets anyway.

Fireboxchaser's Comment

Written on: 18/01/2014

I agree with you on the overcrowded classes. Very demotivating especially when I have to drive 5 miles from home of an evening to go.