Never knowingly undersold on service... don't make me laugh

• Quality of service

• Layout of shop

AdisonVogel's review of John Lewis

“Never knowingly undersold on service... don't make me...”

Written on: 29/07/2014 by AdisonVogel (1 review written)

Bought a table in their sale. They delivered it late and fully assembled. The men delivering it bashed it around my lift, through the door of my flat and eventually wedged it in the living room doorway. In so doing, they damaged the table. They said I should have asked for it flatpack. I said I was never offered this option. They said I would have been. Given I was the person in the shop, I said I remember. They disputed this. An argument ensued. The delivery driver took off his hat in my front room and was threatening.

I asked them to leave and to leave the table as their rough handling already damaged the table and my surrounding doorway and I didn't want anymore damage, or abuse from them for that matter.

I phoned customer service with little joy and then went to John Lewis Oxford Street, where I was told that I was only entitled to a refund and not a replacement table as it had been in the clearance sale. The January sales were now over, remembering John Lewis had delivered the table late.

I said I could not keep the table as it had been damaged by their delivery ppl and I could have bought something else in the sales somewhere else but now the sales were over. Now I was left with an unsatisfactory refund despite all the inconvenience I had endured and my lost opportunity to buy something somewhere else for the same money. All I wanted was the same table replaced, which they had in stock. They refused. I therefore made a scene on the shop floor as couldn't think what else to do. Managers went away to speak to people and said they couldn't authorise a replacement but that they would speak to the relevant people at some HQ and see what could be done. I said fine but asked them to make sure they did not offer me a refund as I had been offered this several times and it was an unsatisfactory solution for the reasons explained. They assured me they would.

10 minutes later I receive a call again offering me a refund! At this point I pretty much lost it. Remember I had waited to have the table delivered, it was late, delivered fully assembled, bashed about and jammed in my living room doorway (causing damage to the surround in the process), I was abused by delivery ppl and then offered a refund despite my explaining that the time for the aforementioned to happen meant the sales were over so my £400 was far less valuable now than it was then. They had the same table in stock so a simple solution was available.

I therefore went to John Lewis with written notes explaining what had happened and I pinned these to all the remaining clearance items. This soon had managers scurrying around looking at them. I then approached a manager and said I would raise hell if they did not replace my table. I did indeed have to get a bit loud and tell some prospective customers about my experience, not something I wanted to do needless to say, until finally the managers got the message I wasn't going to just leave it. I eventually got the replacement table.

How unnecessary that so much drama was necessary when a simple solution existed from the beginning. I should have claimed for the damage to my doorway but really couldn't be bothered. It makes me laugh they say they are never knowingly undersold on service; what utter rubbish.

• Oxford Street, London