Debt management isn't good at all!

Guest's review of StepChange Debt Charity - www.stepchange.org

“Debt management isn't good at all!”

Written on: 05/08/2013

I joined these about 12 months ago and to be frank I wish I had of just gone straight to my creditors or used the courts direct myself. I too have had a rude IVA lady speak to me. I was recommended to go on the debt management as I am also self employed. I didn't have any missed payments or defaults before going on the plan I was just finding it increasingly difficult to make the actual payments. I was becoming ill as I was working 24/7 and I have two autistic children. I do not like the fact that they take their disability element of tax credits into account as that is meant to improve their lives. You have to nag and nag to even get them to talk to creditors. I am thankfully to them in that I now can live a little but they only allow for basic things, the very basic so it's difficult if for example we need emergency dental treatment. I am considering coming off this and just paying them off myself. I still get letters from my creditors saying payments haven't been made and they are still adding interest. With a debt of 32 grand it disheartening. People pay them back quickly if they have low debts. One of my creditors has passed my debt over to a debt collecter in the pass over periodi have made 2 payments to stepchange, so these payments have gone to the old creditor and not the one the debts been sold to.

Stepchange_Advisor's Comment

Written on: 14/08/2013

Hi and thanks for your review.

We’re sorry that feel you’ve had a poor experience with our service. We’d be happy to address these issues with you if you would like us to take it further.

Please contact us and we’ll ask our Client Liaison Manager to investigate.

Kind regards,

StepChange MoneyAware Team

Jason1987's Comment

Written on: 17/08/2013

I am the same you get spoken to like dirt and currently looking at changing provider,I have been sent letters saying my plan has been cancelled or we have sent out letters which they clearly haven't! I have tried to add a debt and even that is hard work to top it off mon to fri no good when you work nights especially ringing an 0844 number,no fees are charged but you make it via the phone instead

Katiekatjas's Comment

Written on: 06/09/2013

I am in the same situation, I keep emailing them with my review details and the are taking about 10 days to reply. My plan is due to end this month. They also told me self employment costs couldn't be added to the plan. Then added them when my youngest son was awarded the disability element of child tax credits. Apparently self employment costs should never have been put on in the first place but now they are making the money up from his disability it's ok they are on there. They wanted me basically to stop trading and I am a new sole trader. I also have Aspergers and Deal with 2 autistic boys and another eldest child so I don't have time to ring and email is about my only option. I think they have identified me from this review(I may be wrong).

Stepchange_Advisor's Comment

Written on: 06/09/2013

Hi and thanks for your comment.

Please contact us and we’ll ask our Client Liaison Manager to look into this for you.

Kind regards,