Viking Sun - Rhine Discovery

Kathlyn171's review of Viking River Cruises - www.vikingrivercruises.co.uk

“Viking Sun - Rhine Discovery”

Written on: 16/06/2014 by Kathlyn171 (1 review written)

Arrived home yesterday after our 5th Viking river cruise. What has happened in the two years since we last cruised with you?? The food at breakfast was limited no longer a choice of plenty of different fruits, the banana was sliced and in a small dish by the cereal, a whole one was never seen for the entire trip. The sausages were horrible. Why were fried carrots (left from dinner)as part of the breakfast choice? At dinner there were less courses, the soup is now part of the starters, the presentation could have been better and when I was given a cheese course I sent it back as the cheese was sweating and drying out, all 3 of us on the table who had the cheese sent it back as it was not of an edible quality. The cheese that they replaced it with was fresh and great. The German evening buffet contained nothing I could eat and the chef kindly cooked me a piece of salmon. The best meal was the Captains dinner. We only had entertainment from locals on the German evening. Going into the galley on German evening, it was a mess. The pianist on board was excellent except when he allowed a woman passenger to sing, she had no ability to hold a tune and it really spoilt three evenings in the lounge on the 3rd one I complained to the hotel manager and she was asked not to sing again, she had clearly had too much to drink and then wandered round the lounge with an empty glass asking for tips! The housekeeping staff should have cleaned the toilets frequently on the change over day and made sure the toilet rolls did not run out. As most of the passengers did not leave the ship until the afternoon and the new passengers were coming on board and two ladies toilets and only one cubicle in the gents is clearly not enough. Suggest that toilets should have been built outside the restaurant and not just the lounge. I was rather concerned to see that the chef who was joining the cruise whilst the one we had was going on leave was wearing a wrist support, which in any environment would attract dirt from all sorts of places which he would then transfer into the kitchen and on to any food he come in contact with without taking the necessary precautions of completely covering his hand and wrist. Some of the other staff I felt could do with more hygiene training. The staff were friendly and helpful as always. The guides on trips out were boring me to death with their history lessons and taking so long to move on to the next site so in most cases we did our own thing within 10 minutes of starting a tour. Still think a quick orientation tour for those that want it and there were many would be good in most places. The best tour was the mercedes-benz factory. The best pianist since our first cruise 6 years ago. Our other cruises have always been 5*, is the company getting too big now not only do they have river boats but cruise ships and their own fleet of buses and they have lost the personal touch?