Nothing received despite exchanging sensitive information

Guest's review of Check My File - www.checkmyfile.com.au

“Nothing received despite exchanging sensitive information”

Written on: 30/10/2013

I am a prospective first home buyer and wanted to understand my credit record before I approached mortgage brokers. I remembered Choice magazine reporting a credit report service, though I didn't recall the name they'd recommended. I ultimately ended up at checkmyfile.com.au and even though my alarm bells were ringing about providing so much sensitive information online, I requested a Veda report. I paid $24.95 via PayPal.

The first sign of poor service was that, after a week, my account message on their website was claiming they were awaiting payment. PayPal was an instant payment, but I checked my account to confirm it was all ok and sent a message asking why they were still awaiting payment.

They wrote back that they had now ordered my file from Veda and should expect something via post within 10 days. A month passed. Nothing. I logged on to checkmyfile.com.au and throughout my clicking received three different messages from them: a) they were still awaiting payment (which they definitely were not); b) Veda had posted me a number that I could use to log in to my report online (I had received nothing at all in the post); c) the report had been sent by post and I should fax it to them (again, nothing received).

Alarm bells were ringing loud now. Why was I getting randomised answers that had nothing to do with reality?

I sent another message asking for clarification. Next day, I received an email asking me to follow up directly with Veda. I called Veda, who confirmed they had not received a request for a report under my name. I informed checkmyfile.

Checkmyfile responded that they had requeted 'another' report on my behalf from Veda. They refunded my payment via PayPal.

Another month passed. Nothing. I called Veda to see if they had any requests under my name - No. I messaged checkmyfile again. Their response:

"I`m sorry to hear that Veda have told you this again, I can assure you that the files were re-ordered and that it should have been posted to you by now.

As the issue lies with Veda and they do not seem to be acknowledging the requests we have made on your behalf, I can only recommend ordering the file from them directly.

I`m sorry that Veda have not provided the service that we would normally expect and for the delays you have experienced. You have been refunded in full."

My next question to them: Are you claiming that your site is falsely advertising? You cannot provide a Veda report after all?

I am thoroughly disappointed and very alarmed that my personal information may have been compromised. I would not recommend this 'service' to anyone. I will be following up with consumer affairs.

Finally, I learned over the course of this debacle that you can receive a report directly from Veda by written request (ie. no online transfer of information). This service is free. This is what I will be doing now.

• Credit Report

Service Type

Iancarpenter's Comment

Written on: 05/11/2013

Hi

I am sorry to hear that you are so disappointed. We have helped tens of thousands of customers for over 5 years in Australia to gain access to their personal credit file and take great pride in our customer service, but fully accept that on this rare occasion, you didn't get the level of service you should have.

We are constantly seeking to improve the level of service we offer, and the level of PayPal integration is one area that we have identified as in need of enhancement. Rest assured, work is under way to improve this. I’m sorry that you experienced these problems in the meantime.

The nature of the service you signed up to is that we order your Veda file on your behalf – this is sent direct to you, which you can then forward over to us so that we can provide you with your credit score and analysis. No other company provides this service in Australia and we think it’s increasingly important for consumers to have an understanding of how lenders will judge your credit file when you apply for credit. We receive very few complaints from customers who don’t receive their file from Veda, but we make no excuses and apologise sincerely for your experience with our service.

I don’t have your personal details to hand, but I am very confident that if my colleagues have confirmed that the order was placed with Veda then it was done so. If you could kindly get in touch with me directly I will take up the issue with Veda to see why you were informed that no such order was placed.

Please be assured that your personal information has not been compromised. We have a detailed Privacy Policy in place and a firm commitment to keep your personal details private.

I note that we have already refunded your payment in full and I am pleased to hear that you have since obtained your credit file direct from Veda. While I fully appreciate that you did not receive your file through checkmyfile, the most important factor is to obtain your credit file by whatever means so that you can see what is held about you, and especially in light of the forthcoming changes to the industry.

Thanks again for raising your concerns. We will certainly take all of your comments on board and if you wish to raise any matters with me personally please do not hesitate to get in touch.

Kind regards