"Free" Trial?

Plusi_Juman's review of Check My File Credit Report www.checkmyfile.com

“"Free" Trial?”

Written on: 21/02/2012 by Plusi_Juman (1 review written)

As far as credit scoring websites go, I wouldn't pay for any at the minute due to severe financial difficulties. I got on to checkmyfile.com as they stated a thirty day trial period, which their website CLEARLY states that your card is not charged until the thirty day period ends.

This however was not the case, as when I checked my bank account 10 minutes later, £8.99 had been deducted from my bank account. When I then rang up to cancel my subscription (which the website would only let me 'Suspend'), I chased up the missing money and asked why their website says that no money will be taken, only to be told "The website clearly states that £8.99 will be taken on signing up."

When I then queried to nature of this "free" trial, and read the exact wording over the phone to them from THEIR OWN website, the lady began immediately backtracking, umming and arring, and basically couldn't find an answer on her script she had in front of her.

After the cancellation was put in place, I was told the money would take days to get back to me, and baring in mind I don't have much money as it is, I was quite upset at this, and basically told them in no uncertain terms that I wanted my money back immediately. The phone call ended with her saying that she will get in touch with her accounts department and reverse the payment.

20 minutes have gone by, and I'll be making another phone call if my money isn't back in another 40...

• Credit Report

Service Type

Guest's Response to Plusi_Juman's Review

Written on: 30/04/2012

I'm sorry to read that you had a bad experience with checkmyfile. We don't take any money from your card during the 30 day free trial period, but we do 'pre-authorise' your card as part of our security procedures. We explain how this works when you are signing up, and also in our terms and conditions. We'll make these warnings more prominent as a result of your feedback. You can ask us to remove the pre-authorisation if you wish, and this is what you have effectively done. I would like to assure you that at no time was any money taken from your account. Pre-authorisation is a common practice with credit report companies such as us, and also happens when you book into a hotel, or hire a car. For most people, the pre-authorisation causes no problem at all, although we are aware that it sometimes appears as a 'debit' on online bank statements, which causes unnecessary concern and can be very confusing, especially as no money has actually changed hands. I hope that helps to explain matters, but if you need any further explanation please just get in touch with us on our freephone number.