Makes a nice cup, quickly.

• Durability

• Style

• Service & Support

Caixa's review of DeLonghi Bar 14 Cafe Treviso

DeLonghi Bar 14 Cafe Treviso

“Makes a nice cup, quickly.”

Written on: 29/11/2012 by Caixa (1 review written)

I picked up one of these DeLonghi machines in a charity shop for £10. I had only been used once by the look of it. Only problem was the previous owner had obviously managed to throw out the double basket (filter) when emptying the group. So I can only make single cups. I could get a replacement from DeLonghi for £2.50, but I'm a single guy and only need one espresso at a time!!

I think these go for about £50-£60 new. I used to use a stove-top mocha which is a much cheaper option, but they can be a bit difficult to handle when hot, or boiling over because you forgot about it on the cooker! I tend to leave my Caffe Treviso on all morning so it's ready to brew when I need a shot. It takes about 30 seconds, no longer, to serve a single espresso so you don't walk away from it and forget. The Caffe Treviso also has the steam pipe of course which is also highly adept at doing a splendid hot chocolate as well as an impressive cappuccino.

I can't say how the DeLonghi Bar 14 Caffe Treviso compares with many other machines, but compared to a friend's Gaggia that was something like £150 I'd say it holds its own in terms of producing a quality cup. It was most certainly worth every penny I paid for it, (hence the 5 stars) but I'd still rate it at least 4 stars value for money at the RRP. That's because it's definitely worth a 5 star durability rating. I've had my Caffe Treviso a couple of years now and not had a single problem with it, apart from scalding myself on the stream pipe! There are often several on ebay if you can't find one new.

Seriously though, use a good coffee designed for such machines, or grind your own. It's worth the extra cost/effort.

• More than 1 year