Legere Bb clarinet reed

• Sound Quality

• Appearance

oldbod's review of Legere Clarinet Reed

Legere Clarinet Reed

“Legere Bb clarinet reed”

Written on: 12/01/2012 by oldbod (9 reviews written)

Always been suspicious about trying one of these synthetic clarinet reeds as they are so expensive, one reed costs about the same as a box of cane reeds. But after trying many different types of reeds and getting a bad batch of late I took the plunge and brought a Legere student reed, alas these have been discontinued so will have to buy the standard next time at about £18.
The Legere reed is white to clear and looks not unlike a shirt collar stiffener but they play great every time, no sanding, scraping, soaking, rotating or breaking in required, line it up as you would with a cane reed then just play, no imbalance from side to side, no getting water logged or getting it broken in then it dies, splits or chips. It is said that a Legere reed is made with vibration properties much like cane, I think that it's better than cane, the best tone I have ever got, top to bottom. This is on a Yamaha 6c mouthpiece on a Yamaha YCL250 clarinet with synthetic pads so I have gone right off the standard of late and I think My playing is passable. I wish that Yamaha had included a Legere reed in the box it would have saved me a small fortune in reeds and a lot of flustration at times. It's said that these reeds last months as opposed to weeks but I can't yet comment on this. The Legere sounds better to me than a blue box Vandoren, that's with me on the other end, of course there are clarinettists that would sound better than me on a plank perhaps but the Legere suits me, more time practicing and less time swapping reeds and my lip does not tire as much, can play now for two hours at a stretch.

• Sound Quality

• Appearance

• Intermediate

Reviewer's Musical Standard