What happened??

DebBear's review of Maynards Sports Mixture

Maynards Sports Mixture

“What happened??”

Written on: 27/06/2013 by DebBear (1 review written)

Sports Mixture have been one of my favourite sweets for years, what on earth happened to them? It was bad enough when they went a bit softer and swapped the absolutely delicious licorice black ones, for blackcurrant??? Yuk! I did however keep buying them, just for the gorgeous pineapple flavoured one. However, I was so disappointed yesterday, to find that they have gone "soft", more like wine gums than sports mixture, and the yellow ones are now lemon. If I wanted soft lemon jellies I wouldn't have been buying Sports Mixture, would I? There was no warning on the packet of any changes, if there had been I probably wouldn't have chosen them, and at least if I had I would have known what to expect. It's the last time I will be buying them. Very disappointing!

Andrewsyk's Response to DebBear's Review

Written on: 29/08/2013

Couldn't agree more. I've eaten Lion's midget gems, sports mixtures, wine gums and butterscotch gums since I was a boy in the 60's. What on earth has Maynard's done to them? Far better when they were a 'hard' gum. Just bought butterscotch gums and like you disappointed to find a soft squashy sweet that tasted of nothing! Also spotted that Maynard's are sneakily changing individual flavours. One day the Yorkshire folk will rise up and stop buying the flipping things!

Stevethebarbarian's Response to DebBear's Review

Written on: 13/04/2014

You can still get the originals. Probably in proper sweet shops still weighing out of jars, or like me buy the 3kg version. They are Lion Brand, not Maynard, and still have the liquorice ones. Find them on Amazon.

Scamps42's Response to DebBear's Review

Written on: 29/10/2013

Hey DebBear

Dont lose faith... When Cadbury bought Bassetts they also mopped up Maynard's whom Bassett's had aquired some years earlier. Now comes the sad bit.....To be fair to Cadbury, they tried with the sweets brands packaging, but advertising budgets were slashed. Cadbury remained a British player with an understanding of British sweets - we're not ALL chocolate hounds...

But all was not well at the good ship Cadbury and when they sold(out) to Kraft, they not only gave away their choc brands but the sweets too. I believe Bassetts are owned by Kraft and Maynards.... well my lat pack had a company name I'd never heard of. This is the sad position of the best UK sweetie brands now in ownership of Kraft and Nestle (Rowntree Macintosh). Neither of these foreign companies have ANY idea of heritage/taste of UK sweetie market. Nestle have ruined fruit pastiles, jelly tots and tooti fruiti and Kraft and AN other are well on way with Bassett and Maynards Brands.
The hope as I see it is two fold. Well three really... One Swizzels - maintaining a british tradition for kids big and small. And Tangerine, a Blackpool based company which owns the Lion Brand and Barratt brand (two of my traditional faves). As such they fly flag for oldschool British sweets including the ORIGINAL Sports Mix. Check them out on ebay, Amazon, and net sellers like aquarterof and sugarboy. No blackcurrant, and still quite hard DebBear

Scamps42's reply to Scamps42's Comment

Written on: 29/10/2013

Forget to add with liquorice and pineapple!!!