Need to up their game, not just their prices....

• Quality of service

• Quality of food

huddsman's review of Cafe Rouge

“Need to up their game, not just their prices....”

Written on: 10/11/2012 by huddsman (2 reviews written)

Café Rouge Leeds - I was the lucky recipient of £50 worth of Love2Shop vouchers, so decided to spend them at Café Rouge with a friend. Since my last visit, the prices do seem to have gone up, in particular the wines. No matter I thought. I ordered the deep fried camembert for starter, lemon sole for main and had the desert trio with liquor coffee for desert. The deep fried camembert was very appetising with just enough and a small leaf salad. Then onto the next course, and this is where disappointment kicked in. For nearly £15, I expect a fillet. I found it extremely difficult to eat, attempting to slide the fish away from the bone resulted in bones breaking away with the fish. Just about every mouthful I encountered a bone. The dish was supposed to be served with French beans and potatoes. All I got was a few limp long beans, and three rather bland tasting potatoes. Due to the amount of bones on my plate, I ended up eating the potatoes and beans off the side plate... The desert trio was pleasant enough, but a little bit more of each desert would have been welcome. For my liquor coffee I opted for Cointreau. The coffee was excellent, but I would question just how much Cointreau there was in it, I could barely taste it. Service was great. Compared to restaurants such as Browns, I feel Café Rouge is very poor value for money.

• Cafe Rouge at The Light, Leeds

Restaurant name & location

• £5-10

Average cost per head

• Once or twice a year

How often do you eat here?

• Refined