Shockingly bad customer service

Miriam_harding's review of NS&I Direct ISA

“Shockingly bad customer service”

Written on: 23/05/2013 by Miriam_harding (1 review written)

I bought my granddaughter a premium bond for Christmas. My husband and I live in Canada and had done our homework before coming home to the UK for the holidays. We had all the relevant documentation to prove we were UK citizens along with our Canadian ID. All checked and verified before we travelled. Went into post office and spoke at length to an employee about how the application needed to be filled out etc. went into post office in person and had the application checked by 2 post masters before filing the application which we were assured was all correct and had been successfully filed.
2 months later I received a cheque for the full value as a refund. No covering letter or explanation. I had to contact them to find out what the cheque was for. After explaining that a cheque in sterling would incur a $40 charge from the bank and that I wanted a full explanation as to why the application had been unsuccessful, I am still in the dark. I got so fed up with the emails back and forth ( a total of 17), that I have made a formal complaint. They have had the funds for 6 months now and although I have received 2 letters to date informing me they need more time to "investigate", I am no closer to resolution.
The ombudsman will be getting a letter over the weekend
Totally unacceptable with conflicting information and user "unfriendly" guidelines.
Shocking service and one that I will never consider again.