Total Rip Off

lkels's review of Vanish Powerpowder Large Area Carpet Cleaner

“Total Rip Off”

Written on: 25/02/2012 by lkels (1 review written)

Having cream carpets for 6 years means they're starting to look shabby. I've always trusted the Vanish brand so when i saw this advertised on TV i thought it looked so easy, just like a shake n vac type product. I checked out the reviews and they were fairly grim to be honest. People saying it blocked your hoover, wouldn't pick up, messy, got stuck in the pile and totally useless at removing dirt/stains.

However, like most of you reading this now i convinced myself that people have clearly not given it enough time and have 'standard old vacume cleaners'. I have recently purchased a brand new Vax pet hair vacuum so i thought there was no way any of this would affect me. How wrong was I?

I applied it to my living room carpet, kitchen rug and by my front door in small areas as instructed and lightly brushed it into my carpet pile as i went. I used the whole tub and concentrated on the grubby areas. The product advises at least 20 minutes to 'dry'. I waited in the only untreated carpeted room (my bedroom)for an hour while it did it's thing as i didn't want to be walking over it risking treading it further into the pile.

I gave it an hour and before hoovering i emptied my hoover and filters as instructed. A couple of stroke with the hoover on my brown stairs carpet filled me with horror, the reviews were right, this stuff just isn't picking up. My carpet was full of fine white powder. A few seconds later and my hoovers red blockage light came on (for the first time in what turned out to be 5 times in total). I cleaned out my hoover and filter which emitted a large nuclear dust cloud of white powder all over my kitchen while i tried not to breathe any of this in. After 5 empties, my nostrils were white, i'm so pleased the police didn't have reason to knock on my door throughout this process.

The long and short of it is......after 5 hoover and filter empties, i was left with the exact same dirt and stains that i had started with (and this was only light soiling), I spent 2 hours hoovering my carpets trying to get the ingrained white powder out of my carpet pile (and i have a very low pile carpet). My entire flat was covered in a white film, even my bathroom! (which was nowhere near the treatment area).

Please listen to these reviews. I spent £5.99 from Asda and was so annoyed tht i have today emailed the company to complain. I spent 2 hours cleaning up the mess that this useless powder left, how on earth would an elderly or infirm person cope after seeing the adverts on TV which make it look so easy. Annoyed isn't the word. I've demanded this product be removed from the shelves, it's a complete con! Save your money and purchase the foam spray or a carpet cleaner.

Written on: 03/03/2012

Written on: 03/08/2012

So true! Just cleaned two rugs and a small spot on the carpet with this stuff - wish I hadn't bothered. The house reeks of chemicals, there is a fine layer of white powder over EVERYTHING, the dirt is still there and it took me an hour to clean the hoover. USELESS

Written on: 15/03/2012

I have been looking at caeprt cleaners for a few months. Based on reviews, I wasn't too sure I could find a good product at a decent price, since I didn't want to break the bank. I found this item at Target, and based on my experience with Bissell vacuums, decided to give it a chance. It assembled pretty easily, and seems pretty solid. It did a very nice job on lifting dirt from an alabaster caeprt and darker entry caeprt, neither of which had been cleaned in nearly two years. I found the upholstery tool to work very well on higher traffic areas that didn't respond well to the pushing the machine over it. Overall, I am quite happy with this item.

Dirtypotatoes's Response to lkels's Review

Written on: 13/03/2012

Your story is the same as mine. Spend over 2 hours trying to vacuum it up and I still have it around the edges. Never again