Wandahome - Questionable business morals

Freewheel's review of Wandahome (South Cave) Ltd - www.caravanbuys.com

“Wandahome - Questionable business morals”

Written on: 23/03/2013 by Freewheel (1 review written)

My wife and I went to look at a caravan at Wandahome and we were also met by a pushy salesman. We looked over a number of vans and identified one that we liked. We then went with the salesman to sit down and discuss figures.

We agreed with him that we wanted a Motor Mover, Tyre Band Systen and Superguard all of which we were told came to approx £1,500. The salesman then said that he would go and see how much discount he could get us seeing as we had decided not to take up Wandahomes, not so generous offer, to sell our camper for £5,000.

He came back and asked how £20,250.00 grabbed us and we were of course interested as there appeared to be an approx. saving of £3,000. The impression we were given was that £20,250 was for the entire deal and agreed to go ahead. The salesman pushed an order form in front of us that showed a price of £20,000 (we asked for the £250 to be taken off if we were to proceed there and then) Below the figure of £20,000 was listed the price of the three optional extras with no total at the bottom of the form. We thought that was right as we had been given the impression that £20,000 was all that we would pay.

I pointed to the optional extras asking the salesman to confirm that we were in fact getting these for nothing and he nodded his head in the affirmative. We signed his order.

Five days later we received through the post two additional orders for signing only this time they had added the optional extras and the price was now £21,530.95. We thought there must have been an error as were certain that this was not the case and rang the salesman immediately. He told us that the latest order we had received was correct and that he never intended the price to be £20,000.

I have since written to the General Manager of Wandahome pointing out that we were misled over the price of the goods and that we wanted our £1,000 back. She has refused in a letter that is inaccurate in terms of the facts. It is rather surprising that despite signing an order that did not show a total that several days later we received one that did and we refused to sign it. You would have thought that this would be enough to convince the GM that we had been misled and that she would have agreed to return our deposit My understanding is that to mislead a customer in these circumstances amounts to "Criminal Breach of Contract and I intend to vigorously contest this company no matter what.

If anyone reading this thread has had or heard of similar experiences with Wandahome I would like to hear from them. Please make your first contact through here as I have every intention of taking this matter further.

Nhood's Response to Freewheel's Review

Written on: 12/04/2013

Hi my parents have just had a similar situation, whereby they've driven up to collect a new caravan and the manager has refused their current one on the basis that its in poor condition (it's not) they're now refusing to refund their deposit which has left them £2500 out of pocket not to menton the travel expenses of getting to hull.

Ddeveritt's reply to Nhood's Comment

Written on: 30/05/2013

Maybe they can put all these deposits to good use by sending the team on a high tense customer relations course, or even an empathy lesson.

Ddeveritt's Response to Freewheel's Review

Written on: 30/05/2013

I wish you good luck and hope you get every penny back i wont feel so bad about them robbing me then.

Freewheel's reply to Ddeveritt's Comment

Written on: 31/05/2013

I recently wrote to Watchdog who seemed very interested in Wandahome, perhaps we should pool our resources and see what can be done about them. There is no doubt that they are flouting the law and in my case, according to the Trading Standards, they have committed a criminal breach of contract through misrepresentation. I settled for £500.00 of my deposit back but only because I had the offer of a really good deal on a Swift Conqueror and wanted to get moving on it. It pains me greatly that I didn't take Wandahome to court because I was reasonably sure I would have won the case and had solicitors, who I have had dealings with for many years encouraging me to do so. I think Wandahome represent the very worst form of customer contempt and I strongly believe that this is because the majority of caravan buyers/owners are in elderly using their tax free lump sums to buy into a dream hoping to ha ve a few adventures in the twilight of their lives. They have no way in wish to replenish their money once its gone and I honestly believe for companies like Wandahome this sector of society represents an easy prey. They are people who have usually finished work and wanting to put the stress of earning a living behind them, the last thing they want is a fight with the likes of Wandahome and so as I say they are easy prey and a company like Wandahome can get away with such criminal acts as I appear to have been subjected to and seemingly many others.

Ddeveritt's reply to Freewheel's Comment

Written on: 31/05/2013

I have no problem with that maybe publicize them a bit further through media, local paper etc. And i certainly would have no problem with us all getting together to do something about them. That is exactly what i discussed with my husband, they no they are more likely to get away with it with retired people.

Freewheel's reply to Ddeveritt's Comment

Written on: 31/05/2013

I will put some thought into it and contact you in due course on here. There is another site that I have commented on and one which is much more popular so I will see if I can drum up some support to take some sort of action against them. It has not escaped me that if some of their activities are criminal it may be possible to bring about prosecution via Trading Standards. I will keep you posted as they say.

Ddeveritt's Response to Freewheel's Review

Written on: 29/05/2013

We strongly agree with you . We recently left a deposit with them of 500.00 and my husband was made redundant within 7 days of giving them this money. SHE had no empathy and wouldnt give us anything back we are so worried about the future and 500.00 is an awful lot of money to loose i am absoloutly devastated we have lost this money. They wouldnt let us use the money in the shop either we could have bought something and then sold it to get something back. SHE wasnt helpful at all.

Ddeveritt's reply to Ddeveritt's Comment

Written on: 30/05/2013

After confirming by post they are keeping my deposit, perhaps they might put my deposit and other peoples to good use by putting it towards their impending court costs and solicitors fees or, perhaps a customer relations course.