MOT Testing

Guest's review of Mr Clutch Autocentres - www.mrclutch.com

“MOT Testing”

Written on: 20/09/2011

Took my van in for an MOT today where they failed it on three bulbs, we'll fix it for £3.50 to £4 per bulb they said. I took it away because I could do the bulbs cheaper myself, and could then bring it back for free partial retest. Sorted out the bulbs, £6 in total and took it back for re-test. Was told that they couldn't fit it in until Friday, three days later and that it would cost me £10 for the re-test. The MOT bay was empty, it would have taken 2 minutes to check the bulbs and maybe another 2 minutes to print MOT certificate.
MOT refusal document and VOSA poster states that a vehicle can have a FREE partial re-test if fault is related to lamps, amongst other things, and is represented back to the testing station by the end of the following work day. Mr Clutch, however have a company policy that states if you do not have the repair done by them then they will charge you £10 for re-test. Their customer service dept. at head office is a waste of space, trawling out the company policy despite the fact that it is in contradiction of official VOSA documentation. I shall be complaining to my local trading standards, VOSA and maybe Watchdog. I shall not let this lie!
My advice is steer well clear.

• milton keynes