Rip off from Lookers of Colchester

MarkLamb's review of Lookers - www.lookers.co.uk

“Rip off from Lookers of Colchester”

Written on: 02/04/2016 by MarkLamb (1 review written)

Lookers at Colchester carry out unnecessary work.

Here is the scenario. A warning light came on my Focus 1.6TDCi 2008 reg ‘Power Steering Malfunction’. I took the car to a Halford Autocentre branch who ran a diagnostic check and that showed it needed a steering angle sensor which they were unable to fit.

Lookers insisted I had a further diagnostic check (£63). Surprise, surprise it showed the same thing. They tested it by fitting a donor part but the fault remained. They then decided to check the wiring loom (hour’s labour at £89.50 + VAT ) but it wasn’t that. They then decided it was the steering pump and replaced that at an eye watering £511.79 + VAT).

When I picked the car up (Total bill £784.51) I insisted speaking to the mechanic. He told me that 90% of the time that fault was the steering pump. So why not try that first? They’ve unnecessarily charged the diagnostic check and the wiring loom and I’ve had no car for 3 days. Oh and when I picked it up they said the oil level was dangerously high but hadn’t bothered telling me about that before. Needless to say I sorted that out myself. In addition to being ripped off their receptionist was most arrogant and unhelpful and every customer is paying for the experience of being spoken to like a piece of dirt.

I complained but have not had any response apart from a message left on the answerphone referring to a phone call they’ve apparently made to me which they assume answers my complaint. (I’ve received no call and had no response to my further complaint about that aspect and still no response to complaint about their rip off service. Next stop; Trading Standards and Watchdog.

• Lookers Colchester