Three exhausts under guarantee in three years

Guest's review of Kwik Fit - www.kwik-fit.com

“Three exhausts under guarantee in three years”

Written on: 11/10/2012

Just over three years ago I took my Honda CR-V (W reg 2000) to KwikFit Weymouth for a complete exhaust system. I noticed that the new exhaust had one support point less than the original equipment but when I mentioned it I was told they were improving them all the time.

On the way back from the branch going up a very steep hill I thought I heard the baffles clattering in my brand new silencer box, however it did not happen again and I put it down to imagination. A week or so later I heard a loud banging underneath and realised the exhaust was hitting the prop-shaft. I went back to KwikFit Weymouth and they did an adjustment. Within the first year the main box (still hitting the prop-shaft at certain engine vibrations) started to leak through a broken weld so I took it back to KwikFit for a free check but didn't tell them that I had had it fitted there. The chap that examined my exhaust told me that the baffles were gone in the main box and the whole system needed replacing so I then produced my receipt and they ordered the parts and told me when to go back. I was then on my second complete exhaust within a year.

During the next 18 months I had taken the car back two or three times to get the exhaust adjusted so as not to bang on the prop-shaft. I then realised that the main box was leaking again and took it back to Weymouth who recognising me had a quick look and said it was fine. I then took it to ATS in Bridport who told me that the main box was leaking and showed me where. I was now approaching the limit of my three year guarantee and had to act quickly. I took it back to KwikFit Weymouth and they reluctantly agreed to replace the whole system again. On the way back from having it fitted I realised that it was banging on something again. After putting up with it for a month or so I took it to KwikFit Dorchester who told me they were always putting right Weymouth's cock-ups and did an adjustment. Three years and three months or so later the exhaust is still hitting the underneath of the car on a regular basis but we have learned to live with it.

• West Dorset