Extra charges wherever they can get them. Avoid avoid avoid

Guest's review of RAC Car Insurance www.rac.co.uk

“Extra charges wherever they can get them. Avoid avoid...”

Written on: 10/04/2013

Took out a policy with RAC in August, and in March was all set to change my car. The old car had a cherished plate so that needed to come off and when I went to change my policy (Online- i.e. I did it myself!) this incurred a £25 admin fee ... I'm baffled as to what cost them £25 by me changing something online. It just seems a rip off. I would have incurred a further £25 when the car was changed plus a further £25 to put my cherished plate back on! Fortunately when I replaced the car they said they couldn't quote and would need to cancel the policy. Guess what - a £50 cancellation fee!
When I queried the fees I was told that they were detailed in the documents. When I asked where, the operator took a little while to locate the place (turned out it was page 11 - I must not have got that far into the terms & conditions ! More fool me!!) It was clearly not obvious or she would have pointed me to them immediately. It certainly seems you are intended to be tired of reading the t&c before page 11 and 'miss' this information.
I feel ripped off and wish I had seen their one-star rating on here before taking out the policy.
....Oh, and we won't go into how they managed to calculate me an INCREASE in my premium when changing from a cherished plate to a normal plate ????!!!! If it wasn’t costing me money, it would be funny.
I have waited (to cool down!) before posting a review, having written to them to give them the opportunity to explain/respond. However, unsurprisingly they have not responded within the stated timeframe, and this morning have simply sent me a customer survey to complete for them! Oh well, at least that last bit has given me a laugh. AVOID.