Co op young driver insurance, smartbox damaged ECU!!!

NObby69's review of Co-Op Car Insurance

“Co op young driver insurance, smartbox damaged ECU!!!”

Written on: 25/08/2012 by NObby69 (1 review written)

Bought there young drivers insurance and booksd a date for the smartbox to be fitted, the date came and had a phone call saying the the engineer was ill and tht the woman would ring me back with a another date for it to be fitted, anyway time went on and i forgot about it till i recieved a email saying my insurance was going up as i had POOR driving even though i didnt have a box fitted, i rang them up and asked why and she said you have been driving eraticlly, i said how do you know that, she replyed because of the data from your box. The box i havnt even had fitted yet!!! They then tried to cancel my insurance as i hadnt had it fitted, i manage to keep my insurance by telling them to listen to the phone call and the ball was left in her court to get back to me. They then charged me £15 admin fee for moving house plus a £50 premium increase for moving tk the next street!!! I then did another quote online and the change of address was £30 cheaper over the year but no luck with getting the price changed. Further down the line i became unemployed which ment i would not be commuting to a place of work but apparently it didnt affect my premium price yet a only quote proved to be £18 a month cHeaper!! Anyway to the point of having my smart box fitted, the car was used daily and never had a problem untill the smartbox was fitted and it lost power. After many phone calls they sent out a engineer to have a look at it( the same bloke who fitted it. Of course he isnt going to take the blame) he siad it wasnt down to the smart box and there is no way he could have done it and its a coinsidence, affer many trips to a garage we finally found out that the ECU had been damaged and came up with one unknown fault, i wonder what that could of been!! Eventually £400 later i had a new ECU fitted and they refuse still to own up to any involvment of it going wrong. I would stay away if i was you. Try another insurance group that uses boxes, us it was cobra that fitted the box so try to avoid them if possible. Hope this helps

• Never Claimed

Have you made a Claim

Badadosth's Response to NObby69's Review

Written on: 03/09/2012

as a new policy holder . can i have ur contact details e mail idd or any please... thomas from southampton

Satnavgirl's Response to NObby69's Review

Written on: 12/11/2012

We also had problems in that the smart box apparently kept sending out alerts to the company, they contacted us and said had we been tampering with it. We had NOT. An engineer came and said he had no idea how it could have been working as it was wired in wrongly. Next quarter my son's premium was increased because his driving had 'deteriorated'. Argh.
NOTE - if you change car they'll charge you to move the smart box. If you simply don't renew they de-activate it at no cost. Derrr. Read all the small print VERY carefully!!!