HERTZ - NEVER AGAIN!

Guest's review of Hertz Car Rental

“HERTZ - NEVER AGAIN!”

Written on: 08/10/2013

I rent regularly in France and generally get good service. Not so on my recent trip and using Hertz.

Not only did we not get the make of car we specifically booked - the offer was for a particular model - but process was unacceptable. I understand that it is "model x - OR SIMILAR", but the alternatives to what I thought I would get were not in the same class - the list prices would illustrate this even if there were not other giveaways.

I was asked which of 2 alternatives I wanted (neither really!) but for some bizarre reason when we got to the car (more on that shortly) it was the one I had specifically said I did not want.

The car was not where they said it was (and of course looking for the wrong make did not help). However when we did eventually find it (courtesy of the second Hertz agent we asked, the first couldn't be bothered other than to gesture in the (wrong) general direction) it was was dirty and completely overwhelmed by the smell of cigarette smoke.

So, I went back to the desk and asked for the 'other' vehicle. This was again in the wrong place.

When we got to it it was scratched and marked well in excess of what had been recorded. When I went to the kiosk the agent referred to above ("couldn't be bothered") repeated the performance - he would not come and look at the car then was difficult about marking the paperwork - asking me how many marks - I said I didn't know more than 12 so he put 12 on the paper. I again asked him to inspect - he couldn't be bothered.

It was clear that our general experience was being replicated by others both collecting and returning. All found the same agent similarly rude and unhelpful. I am not clear what the problems were but it was also clear that some renters had not understood what they were buying and that it was costing them money they had not anticipated. Since it was not one but several people it seems unlikely to me that they could all have been wrong.

This car was clean but tired and in the end worked ok etc.

On return a courteous man again declined to inspect the car - naturally I will not be paying for any damage!

• 28/09/13

Date of hire (month/year)

• Bordeaux Airport