Review of Car rental from Lisbon, Portugal

brumrobin's review of Carrentals.co.uk

“Review of Car rental from Lisbon, Portugal”

Written on: 05/10/2013 by brumrobin (1 review written)

I was pretty happy with the car I hire through the carrentals site. It was significantly cheaper than many other rental, didnt have any additional charges (apparently) and I could collect from the Airport, which was a key requirement.

However when the car rental voucher arrived it stated the cost of a Full tank of petrol would be charged as an extra and this would be payable at the time of vehicle collection. I am uneasy about this practise which has suddenly become more prevalent when hiring in Portugal (and probably other countries too?). So I was apprehensive and not at all pleased as I had not wanted to pay for petrol in this way. You have to return the vehicle as close to empty as you dare to get best value from the purchased fuel whearas filling up when the vehicle is returned costs exactly what has been used. You also don't know what the petrol cost will be. It certainly won't be the same price as paying at the pump.

I also discovered I would not be picking the vehicle up at the airport but would have to meet a representative of the local hire company and be bussed to the location of the hire vehicle.

So all-in-all not what I had wanted. Other car rental sites clearly state these conditions and I had not used them for that reason. I think Carrentals should be clearer about these things on their web site when they give you pricing. Other car rental sites are!

That said however I was pleasantly suprised by the actual service I received in Lisbon. The rental company representative was located where they said they would be though we had to wait 30 minutes for the transfer bus.

The bus driver for the local rental company (Multiauto) was delightful, friendly and informative and spoke excellent English. The location of the Multiauto site was only a 10 minute drive from the airport and was a very clean and professional set up. The additional cost of a full tank of petrol was not excessively high and only slightly above local petrol pump prices. I would have had to pay for a tank full anyway on the return.

The cars all looked modern and well maintained and we were fortunate to be provided with a brand new Peugeot 208, a lot better than similarly priced car classes I had been quoted for on other rental sites.

The return process was very smooth too. The Multiauto guy quickly but thoroughly inspected the car and as there were no marks we were quickly on our way back to the airport. We again had the same friendly driver who chatted pleasantly about our experience in his country as he whisked us back to the airport.

So after initial misgivings we had a very positive experience and an excellent car to tour in.

• 09/2013

Date of hire (month/year)

• Portugal, Lisbon