Good pricing, shame there are hidden fees

Guest's review of Carrentals.co.uk

“Good pricing, shame there are hidden fees”

Written on: 15/02/2013

I've used carrentals a number of times, however this time I found that all the hidden fees were a real nightmare. For example I want to rent a car for the alps, where I'm expecting snow. I don't mind paying extra for car hire, however I'm flying into Geneva and going to France. If I hire a car out of Switzerland I can only rent a car for 8 days, otherwise this invalidates the insurance for most car rental companies. If I rent out of France there's no guarantee I'll be able to get snow chains for the rental. One rental company quoted 540 euros for snow chains. When I phoned to checked I was told that this was indeed correct. Usually I pay £50 for snow chains so I was very shocked!

Some rental companies say they'll rent with snow chains, but then they say that you also have to pay for winter tyres and it's more expensive than renting out of the swiss side of the airport.

It'd be great to have more details about how will and who won't let you take the car across an international boarder. Also more details about the snow chains/winter tyres.

I'm sure I'm not the only person having this issue!

• 12/2012

Date of hire (month/year)

• Geneva