Great deal but 'full tank' policy is straight theft.

milbern's review of Carrentals.co.uk

“Great deal but 'full tank' policy is straight theft.”

Written on: 05/12/2012 by milbern (1 review written)

I rented a Skoda Fabia car from Advntage in Alicante through Carrentals.co.uk.
The staff were helpful, service was good, the car was excellent and the BASIC price was great. However, the staff were clearly programmed to sell extras and like a Ryanair flight, the final, real price was more than twice the advertised price.
Despite my having comprehensive annual car excess insurance, when they realised I would not buy theirs, they suddenly told me that breakdown was not covered, that tyres were not covered and that damage to tyres or a tow for repair could be VERY expensive. Since the car had less than 10,000 km on the clock, I doubted there would be a breakdown and took the risk.
My real objection was to the 'out full, back empty' fuel policy. I was charged 90 euros for a tankful. The tank capacity on the car I had is 45 litres and at local Spanish prices 45 litres would have cost around 60 to 63 euros to fill from empty. So they were stealing around 30 euros. And, of course, it's almost impossible to bring a car back empty, so they stole another 30 euros when I returned it. Next time I will look for a rental deal where I pay only for the fuel I use and at genuine prices. This dishonest policy more than doubled the real cost of the rental and transformed the otherwise good rental experience into one that leaves a nasty taste.

• November/December 2012

Date of hire (month/year)

• Alicante Spain