Extortionate charges - you'll end up paying through the nose

maccaandy's review of Budget Car Rental

“Extortionate charges - you'll end up paying through...”

Written on: 16/07/2013 by maccaandy (2 reviews written)

We hired our car from Budget car hire at Palma airport where we had to wait about 20mins to be served. We were told that there wasn't any damage to the car and were shown a list of the charges that we had to pay before taking the car. Most of them were ok but the woman pointed to an €80 charge to fill up the diesel tank, so this meant we needed to return it empty. Returning it empty wouldnt have been a problem, but we weren't aware it would be this much when we booked it, but we had no choice other than to accept. (1.6 diesel seat Ibiza definitely doesn't need €80 worth of fuel).

When we went to the car there was damage to the front and rear of it which I had to take photos of, then go back to the desk, wait another 25 mins to be served to show them the damage (good job I did because when I returned it they were going to charge me for the damage at the front).

We had a good holiday and the car was nice to drive, but when we returned the car we were told that instead of €81 we were actually being charged €119 because of various taxes etc. the guy was very rude and impatient. I tried to fully understand the charges but didnt really get the chance to as we needed to get our flight.

Overall it was an extortionate amount of money that we had to pay and we received a terrible customer experience. I would definitely not recommend you go with budget. The up front cost may look cheap, but you'll pay through the nose when you actually hire the car.

• 15th July 2013

Date of hire (month/year)

• Mallorca, Palma