Avis optional extra scam?

Kht560's review of Avis Car Hire

“Avis optional extra scam? ”

Written on: 20/10/2013 by Kht560 (1 review written)

I have had a very bad experience with Avis, which is partly my fault for being so trysting and naive! I booked a fiesta over the phone recently to pick up at Manchester airport. The Avis lady on the phone told me the cost for my 6 day hire would be £120 including all insurance and car pick up from home. Very good deal I thought so agreed it. Picked up the car at Manchester airport and the sales person there simply handed me the contract and said sign here, here and here. As I was keen to get going I did so and went on my way. Two weeks later when I received my credit card bill I found the hire had been £200 more than I expected. This was because Avis had added the optional whole insurance package - apparently this was on the contract and I hadn't spotted it much to my annoyance with myself. It had me paying for every extra possible including something called city supplement of £37 when the whole use of the car was in rural Scotland and I never had any intention of going near a city! The issue for me was that at no point was I offered the whole package optional extra, either on the first call or at Manchester airport - it was never mentioned to me or described, absolutely nothing. Had it been I would never have taken it! It seems wholly me not paying for this option rested on me spotting it was included on the contract. Now is this just very bad customer service by Avis or is it a rip-off/? Are they hoping I don't spot it on the contract? It feels that way. I complained by phone about it and the response was I signed the contract! I did receive a letter with compensation of a 25 euro voucher off my next hire even saying I'd agreed to this which I hadn't. I do feel aggrieved Avis add all the optional extras on without mentioning at all or explaining what this is. Pretty disgraceful service, and costly for the customer! I just wonder rid there is anything else I can do to take my complaint further as I gave not had a satisfactory response from Avis as yet.

• September 2013

Date of hire (month/year)

• uk

Country & City of hire

• Excellent

Condition of vehicle

• Good

Choice of vehicles

Surfingpasty's Response to Kht560's Review

Written on: 23/10/2013

I had a very similar experience, maybe reporting to obudsman or watchdog would do something. Very dishonest company!

Kht560's reply to Surfingpasty's Comment

Written on: 25/10/2013

Thanks - thought I wasn't alone on this experience. Will look into those options you suggest.