Need to check underneath car at time of pick up

Guest's review of Avis Car Hire

“Need to check underneath car at time of pick up ”

Written on: 10/09/2013

I am writing to post concerns regarding our experience with Avis this summer in England. We rented an Avis car at Heathrow and dropped it off at Gatwick two weeks later. At the time of drop-off, Avis rental staff immediately began inspecting the underneath of the vehicle with a long mirror and quickly identified several superficial scratches under the front bumper, not visible unless one had mirrors or was laying on the ground looking underneath the vehicle. During our two weeks, neither my husband nor I could remember any occurrence where the car could have been scratched, but we had also not thought to inspect underneath the vehicle when we first rented the car, (nor thought to ask to use the long mirrors to inspect the car at the time of pick-up!) As we could not prove that the scratches were there from before we rented the vehicle, we ended up paying 95 GBP and signed a statement indicating we did not know how these superficial scratches occurred.

Sadly, when we wrote to the main headquarters in Avis after returning home, they offered no help.

My concern and word of caution to all those renting a car from Avis in Heathrow or Gatwick, is to take great care to look underneath the vehicle you are renting when you pick up your car rental – and perhaps ask to use their long mirrors when inspecting the car. I would not be surprised if Avis, will attempt to charge others for the same scratches.

We are seasoned travelers and have never experienced such a problem with a car rental company before – nor have we ever gotten on the ground to look underneath a car that we are picking up. We are greatly disappointed with Avis, and will plan to give our business elsewhere on subsequent trips.

• June 2013

Date of hire (month/year)

• London, England