Beware Unexplained Charges

tobester76's review of Avis Car Hire

“Beware Unexplained Charges”

Written on: 07/08/2013 by tobester76 (1 review written)

As a frequent visitor to the UK, I have found the service at the Gatwick Branch of Avis to generally be OK. Picking up is usually quick and simple, and dropping off is a breeze. My frequent flyer staus also qualifies me for a 15% discount on all hires, so value for money is generally OK.

Where this company falls down is their absolutely appalling customer service, especially when something goes wrong.

On my last trip to the UK, I rented a Ford Focus for 9 days for £161.00, including unlimited mileage and Collision Damage Waiver. At some point during the rental, the car sustained some minor damage after an unknown third party dinged the nearside front wing while it was parked. As soon as I noticed the damage, I took the car to the nearest Avis branch to report it. The staff at the branch completed an Incident Report and told me that I would be billed £384.00 for the damage, but that the VAT would be deducted as I am a non-EU resident. Then, on returning the car, I was told that the Collision Damage Waiver meant that I had no liability for the damage and that I would not be billed for the damage at all.

One week later, on checking my credit card statement, I found that Avis had billed me an additional £1,300.00 (eight times the original rental cost) with absolutely no explanation. Two weeks later, after several e-mails to the Customer Service and Claims teams, I still have not even received a phone call to explain situation.

Avoid them at all costs. If you have no alternative and have to rent from them, pay cash. Do not give them your credit card details under any circumstances.

• July 2013

Date of hire (month/year)

• London, UK

Country & City of hire

• Good

Condition of vehicle

• Average

Choice of vehicles

Pollybacktofront's Response to tobester76's Review

Written on: 12/08/2013

Contact Watchdog & Rip Off Britain.