We tried hard to rip you off

Guest's review of Avis Car Hire

“We tried hard to rip you off”

Written on: 19/07/2013

Upon arrival to Las Palmas airport came to the counter to pick my pre-paid budget car up. I was told that in order to pick my car up, I need to pay 70EUR for fuel tank ( on the island, where 1ltr costs almost 1 eur). Official policy states that:

"
If you keep the car for 3 days or less please bring it back full, otherwise you'll be charge a refuelling service charge to cover Budget costs.

f you keep the car for 4 days onwards the FUF (Prepaid fuel tank) policy is mandatory. This means you do not have to return the car with a full tank as you pay the deposit in advance at the counter. There shall be no refund so make sure you use it all up.
"

So with Super CDW being forcibly offered + FUF being fraudulently added (I didn't have all the T&Cs printed with me) the rent came up to additional 50Eur per day, considering 40GBP already paid for the hire. So that totalled to 63EUR per day for a Budet car, not so *budget*, huh? Of course, I refused this rip off and I was told that I won't get my pre-paid 40GBP back.

Not to mention the poor customer service and that in order to "confirm my booking" I was asked for a credit card, where almost 200GBP were immediately reserved, which I found out later. Luckily, I was, eventually, able to get every dime this company took from me, after dealing with Expedia directly, but the holiday impression was ruined from the first moments.

I regret that I haven't read reviews and T&Cs first. This is the company that I wouldn't like to deal with again, although I must admit that I had good experience with them in Canada (Toronto), which influenced my decision this time.

• June/2013

Date of hire (month/year)

• Spain, Las Palmas

Country & City of hire

Pollybacktofront's Comment

Written on: 12/08/2013

Contact Watchdog & Rip Off Britain, I have!